Macros and calories don't add up

When I add up the macros, today's calorie count thus far should be 1337.7, but cronometer shows 1150.9 (I did not consume any alcohol today that might account for any type of skew). I noticed this in the last 4-5 entries.

I have the app set to count net calories, but even if I plugged in my daily fiber this far, 15.7, the number still wouldn't add up.

What is the reason for the difference?

Best Answer

• Answer ✓

The calories and the macronutrient values will be a bit off because each food is different in the actual amount of energy (calories) it contains.

What I mean here is that you were probably taught the rule that carbs and protein are 4 kcals per gram, and fat is 9 kcals per gram. They are not. They are close but there is better data on some foods and we use that in the calculations for the macronutrients.

For example, some carbs are 3.8, 4.1, 4.3 kcals per gram etc. Same is true for protein and fats. That is why there will be a discrepancy, when our data is more accurate then the 4-4-9 crude estimation.

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Answers

• What I mean here is that you were probably taught the rule that carbs and protein are 4 kcals per gram, and fat is 9 kcals per gram.
    For example, some carbs are 3.8, 4.1, 4.3 kcals per gram etc. Same is true for protein and fats.

wow, I had no idea about this. do you have references I can read on this please?

thank you

H.

• Glad to hear you are interested! This is based on Merrill and Watt's work, summarized in the book Energy Value of Foods: Basis and Derivation

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I was looking into the same issues and found this post - wow! This is an amazing reply for a support forum :smile: gotta love this service!

• Thank you so much for this post. I'm having the same issue. I'm a competitive bodybuilder getting ready for another show and have been just hitting my macros even if coming under on calories to be safe. Would you say based on the above that this is the best approach?

• This is really helpful info! (I just posted on another thread asking this same question, oops). I'd like more information on this, as I've never heard it before. Could you also give some specific examples? I'd love an advanced tutorial on this:)