Everything is sugar free?

Does anybody knows why there is the category "added sugars" if no food contains added sugars ?
I've tried chocolate, cake , coke and even granulated sugar !
All the sugar content is declared as just sugar and therefore mixed up whith all the sugars from fruits and vegetables. You cant keep track of the added sugars you are eating without counting it yourself.

Comments

• I'm pretty sure that the sugars in the nutrition label are added sugars plus natural sugars. I've heard that nutrition labels will change to reflect this, but don't know if they have yet.

Sugars in your diet can be naturally occurring or added. Naturally occurring sugars are found naturally in foods such as fruit (fructose) and milk (lactose). Added sugars are sugars and syrups put in foods during preparation or processing, or added at the table.Feb 1, 2017
    Added Sugars - American Heart Association

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• That is all true but also common knowledge. I'm just wondering how the database emerges or who is accountable for it.
    Many foods have up to 76 listed nutrients, which is pretty detailed and is not possible without an analysis in the lab, how hard should it be to distinguish natural from refined sugars especially when they can only occur in processed foods which have a recipe?

• Added Sugars are starting to be required on labelling but this change will be rolled out in the industry over several years. It will take a long time before all products are reporting this value on their labels.

• But that is not the issue. If you take something like Coke or other softdrinks, there is no natural sugar in there at all. Or just plain granulated Sugar which literally consists of 100% added sugar. Why is it declared as natural sugar in the cronometers database ? I mean, I cant imagine employees from cronometer going into stores and looking on the food labels to append new foods to the database. There has to be some source behind that database ?

• @Sowiso

I think you are asking where Cronometer sources their nutrition information from, correct? You can find this information out by visiting the following page: https://cronometer.com/help/foods/#data

If you wanted, you could also create a "Custom Food" where you detail the amount of added sugar the product contains.

In your diary, you can also see where the sugar is coming from when you hover your mouse over sugar. With my clients, I will quickly add up all sources of added sugar and determine what % of calories are coming from added sugar.

Hope this helps!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I eat a lot of natural whole fruit, sometimes 150g to 200g of sugar a day appears. Yet most nutritional folks will say a healthy person with no medical problems should have no limit on the amount of natural whole fruits consumed regardless of natural fruit sugars present. I'll be happy when the added sugars are separate from natural sugars on Cronometer.

Also, I've noticed if I add a range to the daily % guideline ranges for a particular nutrient, the daily % consumed also changes. i.e. If I change niacin to a range of "1mg to 20 mg" and then consume 20 mg, it shows 2000%, in reality it should always read the fixed RDA (which for niacin is 20mg) regardless of what I enter as a range.

• @SSSSSST , The American Nutritional Label has recently been updated and indicates added Sugars. For foods that we receive as user submitted to the database we can only use the Nutrition label as show on the packaging that we receive in the submission. If the packaging indicates the new 2016 Label, it will most of the time indicate added sugars. If the Food company is not measuring added sugars then we cannot either. Measuring specific amounts of nutrients in food is a detailed science and requires time and effort. We receive data from user submitted labels in which the company has measured these values or from high quality data sources such as NCC and USDA which are the up to date standard for nutrition data. If you would like to edit the label, you can create a custom food as Susan suggested and adjust the label template, or simply split up the sugars as you wish, however as we maintain an accurate database we cannot adjust the added sugars amounts in our public entries until we receive updates from NCC or USDA.
    You can learn more about our Nutrition data sources by following the link Susan posted!

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• @SSSSSST

To address your latter point, the % target met will populate based on what you set as the **minimum **target. When the maximum is exceeded, the colour of the bar will change to red.

As much as possible, I advise leaving the RDAs where they have been automaticaly set, given that this is the level of intake shown to be ideal for individuals of a healthy population.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com

• I could be wrong, but I think the original poster was referring to the display of information about a product in the database and how the display shows “no sugar” for coke. I had a similar problem when I first signed up, my nutritional display was only showing sugar alcohols. I had to go into account settings/ nutritional targets/ carbohydrates, and turn on the sugars so they would be visible.