Can someone explain protein to me?

My cronometer says that I need 120 to 250 grams of protein per day. Say what??!!! Something seems wrong with my settings....

I mean today, I ate 2 sausages, 2 eggs, a burger & 3 protein bars & I still didn't hit my target!

And yesterday, I ate half of a large pizza & I didn't reach my supposed protein requirement on that day either as per cronometer. Yet I did some research & an article I read said that I only require 60 grams per day.

Moreover, I noticed that when I exercise a lot, my protein requirement goes up....

Answers

• edited August 2021

Protein is the building blocks of your body. If you do any sort of weight lifting then you need protein for muscle building.

When I am in a bulking phase of the year, I eat upwards of 300 g per day. With the right food, it shouldn’t be difficult to get to the minimum of 120 grams that you mention. Just have a protein source or two in ever meal.

Good sources of protein (approximate numbers)

6 oz chicken breast - 50 g

1/2 cup of lentils (dry weight) - 25 g

1 can tuna - 30 g

6 oz salmon - 40 g

2 scoops whey powder - 50 g

1 can sardines - 20 g

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

• @Protorontonian "2 sausages, 2 eggs, a burger & 3 protein bars" is not that much food, why don't you eat some proper meat, like a steak or a fish?

Right now I am trying to limit my protein to 120 grams only in order to prevent urea buildup, and I actually have trouble keeping my intake to 120 grams, as I easily get 200 or 300 grams when not even trying, just by eating a fish or a decent portion of beef.

• @Protorontonian

Cronometer allows you to set custom protein targets.... It sounds like this has been done under your macro setting. An intake of 120 g could be beneficial if you are highly active (and a larger person) but 250 is definitely an excessive amount.

Typical protein requirements for active adults range from ~1 to 1.7 g per kg of healthy body weight per day. Some power lifters need closer to 2g per kg per day but this is rare in a well-trained athlete.

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited September 2021

Ack. I just happened to read this post again and saw my comment. The 300g of protein that I wrote was a typo. That was supposed to say 200g. That’s in the 1.7 - 1.9 range.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.