Options

50 net carb total

Can I lose weight fairly quick with 50 net carbs a day? I am new to this and don't think I can sustain the 20 carbs per day. I can't eat meat or eggs, and need some grains to do this.

Comments

• Options

@MissBliss

Studies show that the best diet is the one you can follow for the rest of your life. If a particularly diet speaks to you - great! But make it your own... Remember, long-term weight loss requires long-term behaviour change and a history of yo-yo dieting can actually cause us to gain more weight over time.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

@MissBliss Yes, of course you can lose weight on 50g of carbs! You may easily go into ketosis at that level. The reason keto diets are 20g net carbs/day is that is the level that almost everyone will go into ketosis, but many can eat much more carbs while still in ketosis.

But ketosis is not necessary to lose weight. Cutting your carbs that far will reduce insulin, a fat storage hormone, and allow you to hear leptin, a satiety hormone. You will definitely lose weight on 50g.

If you don't eat meat or eggs, then you should focus on protein. Plant proteins generally come with a lot of carbohydrates. For instance, if you were to get 50g of protein from black beans, you would be consuming about 100g of net carbs. There are some low carb plant proteins, edamane/soy for example, and processed foods like pea protein and whey powder. If you eat seafood, that will help.

My point is, that once you get enough protein (I aim for 60-100g/day), it's likely that you will already be consuming close to or even more than 50g of carbs. If you are still hungry, add low carb veggies cooked in healthy fats.

I would suggest you also look at intermittent fasting (or even longer fasts) if you want to lose weight more quickly.

HTH 😁

• Options

FWIW, I didn't think I could stick with a low carb diet, but went on one (low carb and low calorie) with the intention of losing weight. It turned out the diet suited me perfectly, which I would never have realised if I hadn't tried.