Why do “Calories Remaining” seem off?

I have my settings set to NOT factor in exercise or Thermic Effect of Food when calculating my daily calorie budget. I set a Custom calorie budget of 1900 cal/day.

Today I’ve consumed 1157 cal so far, so my remaining calories should be 743 (1900 - 1157 = 743).

Instead, the display at the top of my food diary reads 1157 consumed, 1789 burned, 592 remaining.

1. Why is the app factoring in my calories burned when I set it to NOT do that?
  2. Even if it IS factoring in my calories burned, why does remaining calories show as 592?

Best Answer

• Hi there,

The energy burned will always include your BMR value not your custom energy target. Sorry for the confusion!

Here's a visual to show where we use your BMR vs custom energy target.

There is an option to customize your BMR value in your Energy Settings if you'd like!
    On our website, head over the the settings tab, then Profile + Targets.
    Under 'Energy Burned' use the drop-down menu next to BMR and choose a custom value. Enter in the value you would like to represent the energy you burn each day.
    Select the Activity Level drop-down as well and select None.
    This will change your Energy Burned to display the custom BMR value you've entered.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Answers

• Hi HealthyWoman68,

The Calories Remaining comes from your estimated energy burned - your recorded intake. Using your values that should be around 632 kcal remaining though - could I take a look at your settings to see where that 40 kcal went?

To view your custom energy target, please take a look at the energy bar in the Macronutrient target section. it's just to the right of the Energy Summary on our website; swipe the top banner in your diary to the left to view it on the mobile app.

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Yes, please feel free to view my settings.

Is it possible for me to set Cronometer to NOT factor in “energy burned” from any source? I’d rather see my daily calorie balance without that factored in.

• Hi there,

Yes! Un-tick the options to add exercise or TEF (your settings look good there!). These will both add to your energy burned value. The Energy Burned is calculated using the BMR value listed in your Energy Burned Setting, rather than your custom energy target though.

Your custom energy target is used in your Energy target bar instead, shown here:

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• As I said, I had already un-ticked the TEF and exercise boxes. My energy balance display is still showing an energy “burned” figure based on my BMR.

My question was is there any way to NOT factor in energy burned from any source into my food diary display?

I just want to use my custom energy setting as my only factor. So it I set it at 1900 cal/day and eat 500 cal in a meal, it should show 1400 cal remaining.

• Tamsin just answered my question via Facebook Messenger. She said:

If you would like to override your BMR and instead see your custom energy amount in the 'Burned' circle, go to Settings > Profile + Targets and enter a custom BMR of 1900. 

Best, 

Tamsin

This is what I was looking for.