I am ready to pay for getting this feature: replace all past entries of food A by food B

edited September 2018 in Feature Requests

Feature request: I would like to be able to replace all entries in my record of a food A by a food B.

This feature would be of such outstanding utility for me that I am ready to pay for getting it implemented soon. Please let me know when it could be ready and how much you charge.

Why is this useful? It would be a versatile utility to serve a variety of purposes:

• Crono often has dozens of foods that are essentially the same but come from different databases, brands, etc. Turns out that some have a much more detailed nutritional breakdown. I may have logged on the less detailed one.
  • More importantly, this feature would enable me to replace a standard Crono food by my own self-defined food. Many nutrients are lacking in Crono.
  • The outstanding utility would be the backwards change for all past entries. I have years of data in Crono. Such a change would enable me to relate long-term health changes to nutrient intake.
  • This feature would make up for another missing feature: Currently, one cannot display when one has eaten how much of a certain food. Using this replace feature it would be easy: just replace the food by a self-defined food and set some irrealistic nutrient (e.g. 1kg of alcohol) and then display the alcohol intake chart. Done.

My personal goal is: Years ago, I switched to a ketogenic diet. While this saved my life, I developed some major health issues during the last years. I worked hard to find out all the science, but now the capabilities of Crono are lacking to match the food and the health data.

Comments

• edited October 2018

Really important request. I have been using so far another nutrition tracker and experienced similar issues over the months. This feature woulld make the difference for me to change to Crono, because I do not want to have these probs again to have so much data in it but being unable to fully use it!

• edited October 2018

Great feature request to tidy up those past entries in your diary as you continue to learn more about nutrition, your needs, and tracking using Cronometer! You could get even more information to help inform your food and health decisions by combing through your trends in nutrition intake in the past.

In the meantime, here is a great article to help you find the most comprehensive nutrition information using Cronometer going forward:

https://cronometer.com/blog/6-tips-getting-nutrition-data/

Our curation team also tries to identify better alternatives for brand name products when possible. Though this mostly applies to whole foods rather than pre-packaged ready-to-eat products. For example, selecting Trader Joe's, Brazil Nuts in the database offers a better alternative with more nutrition information at the bottom of the add serving dialogue:

I hope that helps you get started @Rrrobi !

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• This would be one of the best features. Crono helps people understand nutrition, rather than just tracking it. With that understanding, you start realizing that Protein, for instance, means nothing by itself, but its amino-acid profile means everything. I would imagine many people who track their nutrition are physically active and most likely supplement their food intake. Most supplements in Crono lack amino-acid profile and most fats lack their fatty-acid profile. I started creating custom foods with such profiles and I wish I could replace all past entries with my custom foods. Karen (the staff) provided good suggestions but didn't mention if such feature is on the roadmap. Karen, please advise. Thank you! Crono is hands down the best app :smiley:

• Thanks for sharing your feedback @GariK
    This is on our list of feature requests to implement in the future!

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Are there any plans when this feature will be available? Thanks!!

• No updates right now Leila.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• That would be super useful! <3:)

• This, this, this! I hate that I have to delete an entry, go into the search and then add the new thing. Also, can we make this feature so that you can edit a recipe for just that particular entry?

• Just has a head's up, if you are using a custom recipe, then when you update the recipe you are given an option to update past uses of this or just future. I know this doesn't work for all uses cases, but wanted to point out it exists for custom recipes.

• In addition to @david_g 's suggestion you can also use the Explode Recipe feature to make edits to your recipe for one-time use. This prevents you from having to save a recipe to your list of custom recipes when you plan to use it only once.

Add the recipe to your diary, the right-click the recipe and choose Explode Recipe from the menu. This will show all the ingredients in your recipe for the serving size that you added to your diary. You can then edit the proportions, delete ingredients or add ingredients on the fly, without it affecting your saved custom recipe.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• edited February 2019

Hi @Karen_Cronometer I am so so much awaiting the "replace all diary entries of food A by food B" feature. However, there was a helpfully clarifying post on another thread that you guys at Crono are currently in some unrelated big work. I think it was from @Hilary . So to put it simply:

• There is no hope to get the foodA➞foodB feature this year, correct? I appreciate straight messages over all this long long waiting...
    • I am curious: what is this big work?
  • Hi Lolinda,

Thanks for checking in! Our policy is to complete development before we announce a release date. You never know what issues might come up in the exciting world of software development and we prefer to err on the side of caution.

Cronometer design and development have been working on updating our website (released last month, though they continue to make improvements :) ) They are also working on rewriting our mobile app to improve both the look and performance - it might entice you to use the app on your mobile device ;) All while they work on all the things that keep our software and company running smoothly - they really do amaze me everyday!

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• The foodA➞foodB feature would saved me a lot of work, hopefully this feature will come soon...

• I hope this feature will be implemented❣❣❣

• Hi, are there any updates?

• @Rrrobi thanks for your interest. We are working on a number of feature updates at the moment. We have this request on our list, however are not currently working on it. Please refer to my colleague Karen's above comment regarding our policies for release date announcements. We are a small company and must allocate resources accordingly.

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• I just got the happy news that this feature shipped!! However, it is only available by request to the admins, you cannot do it yourself. (I fully approve this as one could easily do big crap using this feature. I think it is very good to place such a feature into the hands of admins). I am very happy that this long-avaited feature is there!!

• I don't get this. When you change a custom recipe it asks if you want to change other entries in the diary. So the routines are there to do an item for item replace. It would be great if this also worked when you edit a copy. I often find that the numbers are wrong in an item I've been using and have to edit a copy to fix it; but no way to update the past entries in the diary.

• edited October 2020

that is precisely what this new feature (new as of 2019) does: now you can edit a copy of a food and ask the admins to replace all your old usages of the original food by your edited new food. So, you are invited to use this feature happily! :)

(but I understand your wondering, @CalorieGuru
    Back in 2019, I asked the admins for this feature. And they nicely added it to the software. I had the same conclusion as you that it is a totally simple addition to the software. And I made the same experience as you that numbers are sometimes wrong, other times numbers are missing but can be found in scientific sources, etc.)

• edited October 2020

Asking the admins to do something isn't very convenient. It means someone wrote a script that updates the DB but it's not part of the product. My point is if you're allowed to do it for your own recipes, why is it "dangerous" to let us do it ourselves? Considering that 20% of the info in the DB is wrong or missing info it should be a standard part of the tool; particularly for paying members.

A better way to do this would be to let each member have his own version of an item via an alias and let us edit any item in the DB (and thus utilize the "replace in diary" feature; edited items would only apply to our account). Then we could just go in and fix things. In other words, any edited DB items would work exactly like a personal recipe.

If I sound like a programmer it's because I am one :smile:

• Any admin here, reading these?
    I would be happy too if I could do this "beckwards-change" myself.

• We sure are! We can pitch the idea to the team again - thanks for a fresh perspective.

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• I add my vote to this feature would help ALOT!

Example just noticed our local tap water is quite different to nccb database version and you can imagine how many places I have this logged. Have made a copy and made some adjustments but really would like to backfill all the old with the new version.

Thanks, JC

• New (paying) member as of a few weeks ago. Longtime user of free. While inputting an item, I too found I was using an incorrect version which had less accurate information. Now I would love to revise backwards all those inputs in one modification rather than cause someone else more work (or me to individually do each one, lol). That said, any updates known as of yet?
    Thank,
    RA

• edited November 2022

Hey @Karen_Cronometer thank you so much for your encouraging lines years ago:
    "We sure are! We can pitch the idea to the team again - thanks for a fresh perspective."

did anything happen?
    or did all resources go down into that new design and now there is no more money left for our wishes?

PS: I expressed critical remarks on the new design on this forum. but I am so happy to see that you as a staff member, still carry the beautiful beautiful old Cronometer logo <3<3 !! Now I ask you to take a look at it, and compare it to the new Crono logo at the top of the page. what are your perceptions of the old versus the new logo?

(I mean this as a real question, a question of your personal very individual perceptions. I am simply curious nothing else. I'm not looking for confirmation of my opinion but I'm really curious what you and also what the team in general feels)

• red apple with green leaves versus abstract empty orange Apple