Options

PCOS & Vegan?

So, My mom and I have PCOS. We have also become vegan quite recently. My mom used to be an athlete, but now we're both mostly sedentary. Does anyone have some advice or similar situations to share?

Comments

• Options

I don't have PCOS, but I'd pay attention to how your body reacts to phytoestrogen, since your vegan protein source would probably be pretty high in it. Some studies say it's good for your situation, others say something different. You'll have to do a lot of research.

• Options

@Liz_R

Congrats on becoming vegan! As a vegan RD, my advice to you would be to consume a mostly whole-foods, unprocessed vegan diet. Aim to include a source of protein at each meal and ideally snacks, along with fruit and/or veg, and a whole, unrefined grain like quinoa, bulgur, whole wheat pasta, etc.

I don't think there is enough sound research to support avoiding soy-based products, especially since they have been shown to be helpful in post-menopausal women (i.e. women who are not menstruating).

I'd also encourage you to engage in some physical activity that you enjoy at a frequency that you find sustainable. Insulin resistance can occur in PCOS and being physical active helps the cells to better respond to and use insulin.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer