Can cronometer auto-learn daily burn rate?

Cronometer makes a guess at my daily caloric burn rate, based on a standard equation and a fudge factor based on my declared activity level.

It occurs to me that it ought to be possible for cronometer to watch my daily caloric consumption and my daily weight logs, and automatically adjust its estimate of the burn rate upwards or downwards as appropriate. Does it do this? Can it be made to do this?

As it stands, I have chosen the goal of "maintain weight," but my weight is creeping down. I know I can manually set the burn rate. I.e., I could perform the learning function myself. But that seems a task ripe for automation within the software.

Comments

• Hi Cap,

That's a thoughtful suggestion for putting all your data to good use for power users into consistent, detailed tracking. We will put this on our list of feature requests.

Cheers,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited August 2021

I used to use DietPower, but when I got a Mac I had to stop using it because they didn't have a version for the Mac, nor did they have a mobile app. After that they functionally went out of business. But they had a proprietary algorithm that did exactly this, and after a user had logged about 30 days of daily weight and calories consumed, it could tell them how many calories they were burning each day as a rolling average for the last 30 days. I went to their website at www.dietpower.com the other day, and I saw a notification that the company is for sale. I know Cronometer doesn't need their company, but if they aren't getting any buyers, I wonder if you might be able to strike a deal to get that algorithm. I would love to have that feature back. Except for that, I absolutely love Cronometer.

• It occurs to me that it ought to be possible for cronometer to watch my daily caloric consumption and my daily weight logs, and automatically adjust its estimate of the burn rate upwards or downwards as appropriate. Does it do this?

This is now a feature in the (paid) app MacroFactor. It does exactly what you describe; looks at your intke & weight and tells you your energy expenditure after the fact.

• @wmarler have you tried the feature in Macrofactor? Works well?