Excess manganese and Vit K

I'm eating a lot of veggies, fruits, whole grains and getting to 100% of my targets over a week or two, but my manganese and Vit K show "red" on most days. Does anyone know if the UL of these are for supplements mainly and not if eaten in a WFPB diet? I usually have 2-3 servings of cruciferous vegetables and whole grains/beans every day. I can use the great food suggestion to tweak my diet, but if the UL is really for just supplements and I continue with what I'm doing now. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Comments

• @Guest

You are exactly right! In general, the upper limit only applies to nutrients that are taken through supplements, not diet. Your body has very effective ways of ridding excesses of a nutrient when consumed through diet.

Exceeding intake of these two nutrients is very common on WFPB diet, so don't worry and keep up the awesome pattern of eating!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thank you, Susan.

• I was just wondering the same things... My daily manganese intake varies between 8mg and 15mg. So if it's not from supplements but from diet is not a concern?
    Thanks
    Valentina

• @vtanci - that's correct!

"Health Risks from Excessive Manganese
    No evidence shows manganese toxicity from high dietary manganese intakes [38]. However, manganese toxicity has occurred in people working in such occupations as welding and mining who were exposed to high amounts of manganese from chronic inhalation of manganese dust [1,39]. People who consume water containing high levels of manganese (in some cases as high as 28 mg/L) have also developed manganese toxicity [4,40]."

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks for your answer. Regards