Calories burned is a joke!

I tracked my food intake with Cronometer on February 13th. The cold weather gave me a gargantuan appetite, and I consumed 3090.6 calories. Because of the wind chills and slippery sidewalks, I didn't spend much time outside and thus didn't get much exercise.

According to Cronometer, this would be my daily calorie burn if I were 367 pounds and sedentary. In reality, that's 230 pounds heavier than my normal weight. My daily calorie burn (with a sedentary lifestyle) was only 1836 calories, which is more like my summer intake.

Dividing 1836 calories by 137 pounds yields about 13.4 calories per pound. So assuming that each pound of body weight requires 13.4 calories, my 3090.6 calories that day equates to "only" 231 pounds. 231 pounds is still enormous, but that's within 100 pounds of my actual weight.

Assuming my lifestyle was lightly active instead of sedentary, I burned 2104 calories on that day, and I would have had to weigh 295 pounds to burn 3090.6 calories. Dividing 2104 calories by 137 pounds equates to about 15.36 calories per pound. Assuming that each pound of body weight requires 15.36 calories, my 3090.6 calories equates to "only" 201 pounds. 201 pounds is still massive, but at least that's only 64 pounds heavier than my actual weight.

So what goes into Cronometer's calorie burning calculations?

Comments

• @FerrisBueller86 It sounds like you could be double counting your kcal burn. If you're importing calories from a device, then I recommend setting your activity level to "none" in the app.

Alternatively, you may want to double check the last weight you enter, as it's possible that if could be entered incorrectly, thus influencing kcal burn.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I wasn't importing calories from another device. In fact, I have NEVER in my life ever tried to track my calories burned. (I cannot imagine having to keep track every minute of the day to figure out how many calories I'm burning.)

• edited April 2022

@FerrisBueller86 - and it's completely unnecessary to do, whether you are trying to lose weight or not. This is my only pet peeve about the app. The need to allow people to turn that off. This is a sword I am willing to die on. I don't want to be told to make myself sedentary...I'm not sedentary...it should never be calculated into the day's information.

NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Certified Nutrition Coach

• This website summarizes how activity factors are determined and explains how this fits into energy calculations. Cronometer doesn't create new calculations but uses those already established through scientific study:

https://archive.unu.edu/unupress/food2/UID01E/UID01E08.HTM

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• @Susan_RD_101 This is my POV...I'm not saying the calculations are incorrect...User's should be able to turn that off. Most people overestimate the amount of calories they are "burning", therefore, it's an irrelevant formula needed in the app. If people are want to see it, great...but there are people that know the equation isn't as accurate as a study might want you to think. The developers should be able to turn this off as easily as they have it programmed to be turned on. I've linked just one of a TON of published articles on how inaccurate the information is.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2017/05/fitness-trackers-accurately-measure-heart-rate-but-not-calories-burned.html

NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Certified Nutrition Coach

• I've been a cronometer user for a number of years and find Cronometer's calculations of calories burned to be very accurate if the correct information is entered. I calculate my activities (biking and walking) accurately using a heart monitor and a pedometer.

• Where is the button to put someone on ignore? I know it used to be available and it would come in handy.

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• I respect your point of view, but I cannot fully agree. A diet in which you need to count calories is effective! Six months ago, I weighed 191 pounds! It was difficult for me to move; I slept very badly and was constantly in nervous tension. I wouldn't say I liked looking at myself in the mirror. I had a goal and firmly decided that I needed to lose weight. A work colleague recommended the Reverse Health program, which selects an individual approach for each client. At first, it was difficult for me to count calories and follow a diet, but over time I got used to it. I must say that in a few months, I have lost 15 pounds and feel much better.

It's really cool that you managed to lose so much weight! Not everyone has the willpower to do such an act.