How to find nutritional info for juices?

Hi, I'm new here. I've been using Cronometer for about a week now. Love it. It's absolutely amazing. Big thanks to all who contributed to making this tool available. I would never have been able to make the progress I have without it. Thank you!

I have been on a modified Gerson diet for years now and am switching to a Ketogenic diet based on Dr. Mercola's recommendations in his new book, Fat for Fuel.

For this first week or so I decided not to use juices as I couldn't figure out how to calculate the macro nutrients for my juices. I use an Omega single augur juicer that does a pretty good job of juicing. My juice press is currently broken and I hope to get it working soon.

So my question is, how can I find good nutritional information about, for example, cabbage juice? I wouldn't have any idea how to calculate the net carbs because a lot, or most of the fiber doesn't make it into the juice. Seems pretty complicated to me.

Anyone have any insight or ideas? Thank you.

Comments

• Hello @edpickus ,

Unfortunately, at this time we do not have the nutrient information for juiced foods and vegetables. You can however save custom copies of the food you wish to juice, and remove the fiber from the nutritional info. Keep in mind that there is a loss of fiber content and as well as other nutrients when juicing.

Here are the steps to create a custom copy from a generic food in our database:

1) Go to the website https://cronometer.com/
    2) Go to the 'Foods' tab
    3) Search for the vegetable/fruit you are juicing (Ex. Cabbage, Raw). This will open the food editor.
    4) In the food editor, select the gear icon in the top right hand corner and select '' Edit a Copy''
    5) You can change the name to ex. Cabage Juiced, and remove the fiber.
    6) Don't forget to save changes!
    7) You will now have the custom foods in your foods, which you can then add to your custom recipes.

Regards,
    Marie-Eve

Marie-Eve
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Hi @Marie-Eve,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it. I totally understand the difficulty of trying to get accurate info about juicing. Every juicer type would have different quality juice. It would also depend a lot on whether one uses a juice press like is used in the Norwalk or Pure juicer or whether you use a simpler juicer and leaves a lot of juice in the pulp.

I just opened a copy of Raw Cabbage and am editing it. Amazing. Thank you for sharing how to do this. I've watched all the videos, but I just must have missed this. Starting the diet and measuring everything and making notes of everything is a bit of a change. God bless my wife for supporting me on this adventure and God bless all of you for making this possible.

OK. In Nutrition Facts it shows that there are 5.2 g of Total Carbohydrates, 2 g or Dietary Fiber, and 2.8 g of dietary sugar.

I never read labels, because all our food comes from food that has no labels. So this is a learning experience for me. When I add 2 g of Dietary Fiber and 2.8 g of dietary sugar, I get only 4.8 g. What is the remaining 0.4g?

And once again, thank you. This is all a bit of challenge and I appreciate the help.

All the best to you,
    Ed

• Helllo @edpickus ,

The remaining 0.4 carbs can be explained by the fact that the carbohydrates in cabbage that are not measured directly. USDA and NCC analyzes many carbohydrates but this does not capture every carbohydrate component out there. Instead of adding up the carbohydrate components listed to get the total carbohydrate value, USDA calculates this value by subtracting the values for water, ash, alcohol, protein and fat. The idea is that once you remove all of these components the rest must come from carbohydrates.

Regards,
    Marie-Eve

Marie-Eve
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• So much to learn and so little time. Thank you for making this journey a bit easier. Very interesting to know these things. This morning I had 50/50 cabbage juice with water. Nice. It didn't seem to spike my glucose. For the past 4 years I have had 3 carrot and apple juices per day plus green juices. So since I'm just starting Mercola's MMT diet, I thought I'd go slow on the juices. But cabbage seems to be OK. Carrots and apples might not work well, at least not at first.

And thank you once again for the help. It does seem to get easier and take less time.

All the best,
    Ed