Glucose and ketones

I am at a very strict ketosis eating program but when I measure my ketones and glucose my glucose levels are high. Ketones 1.9 glucose 120-144.
Could supplements cause that?

Answers

• Are you taking high levels of vitamin C? I know that can artificially increase glucose readings. High uric acid levels can also interfere with the glucose tests, and if you're just starting ketosis, it's common for uric acid to spike. Best would be to talk to your doctor and get some better lab work done if you can.

• I am taking vitamin c and I have been on a ketosis diet since July. When I water fast everything is great. When I am 3/1 fat vers carbs/protein my glucose levels go high for some reason.

• I have been keto adapted for several years. I am a 56 years old and weigh 128 lbs. My fasting blood glucose is normally high: around 5.8. (After 12 hrs). If I fast for 16hrs, it always increases: as high as 6.3 (113.4) at times. My ketones are good: 3.5 -4.1 approx. My weight has stalled and I feel I have to mix things up now, so going to follow Dr. Fung's recommendations and do a full 24 hr fast each week to see if my blood glucose will go down. Anyone seen any results with that?

• Yes it works great. Sometimes it can take up to 3 days.

• I have also read that too much protein can cause glucose to rise in the absence of carbs

• Yes that is true. Please pay attention to the grams not %. Try to do 2 x as much fat as protein plus carbs. If you are serious lower carbs to 20 grams or less per day.

• Thank you @Brutuswayne . I have been discouraged recently. Been on keto for 3.5 years and had great results but this last year my BG has been high, low energy and weight gain that I can't seem to shift. I have no probs doing 20g carbs but thought at this stage I might have been able to add some more carbs in. I am going to try to lower protein grams. Today I did 32g protein/32g carbs/135g fat. I'm going to experiment with that this week. I do 16hr IF with one 24hr fast per week. Will see what happens.

• I have also found out with my own situation that calories do count.
    Sometimes I do a 4 day- 14 day waterfast to clear everything out and lose weight.
    Makes you feel better.
    Just a thought.

• Just a quick question: my the glucose levels are higher on the second reading - before breakfast and after 14 hours of fasting. Is this normal ? Or is there anything I need to understand?

• @Aldina_Costa

It's important to remember that we don't just glucose from our food; our body also releases glucose when we aren't eating. Sometimes, especially in diabetes, the liver doesn't know when to "shut-off" and more glucose than is necessary can be released into the bloodstream. If this is the case for you, it would be worth having a visit with your MD to make sure that your liver knows when to stop putting out glucose.

Kind regards,

Susan

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks. I am not understanding very well your suggestion. My blood glucose never went higher than 118. If I am going to the doctor , he will not understand it.
    Regards

• I measure my BGs multiple times per day and I eat very little carbs. For a low-carber, protein raises BGs consistently via a process termed "gluconeogenesis."
    https://merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gluconeogenesis
    This is not controversial. It is a widely understood phenomenon.

AnnieMac: I am not a nutritionist but . . . you and everyone who reads this should be aware that 32 grams of protein per day is dangerously inadequate. Please seek out advice from an informed professional. Long-term protein deficiency is not something you want to mess with.

• @Aldina_Costa

We use different units in Canada for blood glucose readings, which can be the challenge in interpreting. 118 mg/dl is the equivalent of 6.6 mmol/L. Having this target pre-breakfast is great for someone already diagnosed with diabetes, but technically, if someone doesn't have diabetes, this morning level should be less than 6 mmol/L or 108 mg/dL.

If you consistently have levels higher than this in the morning, I would mention it to your doctor, who may want to test your fasting blood glucose.

Hope this helps!

cronometer.com

• @moies

I am a dietitian and can confirm that 32 g of protein per day is incredibly low! At this level, your body will break down protein in muscle, which puts you at an increased risk for infection and injury and can lower your metabolic rate. Meeting the RDA for protein is important, as well as engaging in strength-building exercises in order to preserve lean body mass.

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• @Susan_RD_101 and @moies
    Since I wrote my original post I have done lots of research and increased my protein levels to 46g. This is based on 0.8g per kg of body weight. I am 5ft 3 and weigh 125lbs (57kg). I have also added IF daily and one 24 hr fast per week. My FBG has decreased and is now averaging 4.5-5.1 (81-92). I also do light strength training. These changes are a combination of Mercola/Fung's recommendations and protocols

Thank you both for your input!

I guess most vegetarians/vegans are "incredibly low" in protein then?

• edited December 2017

Thanks for all the comments. I never was diagnose with diabetes. Since I stated this diet- keto- I started to measured the level, it become very confusing. The first and second the levels at the fist reading were below 100 , in the first week . Although the second reading after a few hours would increase. Now I lost 3 kilos ( I don't need to lose more than 5) and 4 % of fat and the body mass is the same. This gives me some positive feedback. I can not understand is the glucose blood levels. I will stop some weeks and will do it again. I am following the Dr Mercula Instructions of the book: Fat for fuel. Can any body suggest a Dr on line since in Lisbon I am not aware of any . Regards

• @Aldina_Costa Sorry, I can't recommend a doctor. I would urge you to read Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution. Doctors usually do not diagnose diabetes until people are very badly damaged. It is much better to treat yourself early.

One huge problem is that the vast majority of blood glucose meters are permitted to be very inaccurate. Currently the most accurate meter is the Freestyle or Freestyle Lite. And even those are only accurate between the ranges of about 70-120 mg/dl (3.9-6.7 mmol/L). But you do not want to make decisions based on bad data.

Bernstein has devoted his entire life to studying diabetes and this is something like the third edition of the book.

• @AnnieMac

What I tell vegans is there is a difference between protein deficiency and protein optimization. In developed countries, protein deficiency doesn't exist. However, you can have compromised immunity and reduced muscle mass with low protein intake.

That said, there are a range of plant-based proteins that can give you all the muscle-building protein you need. My favourites are seitan, tempeh, lentils, beans, hemp seed, tofu, and almond butter.

To be honest, the macros on a balanced vegan diet are actually quite similar to someone eating a balanced omnivore diet.

Let me know if you have any questions, as this is my area of expertise! ;)

cronometer.com

• The body does not use protein. The body breaks down protein into amino acids. The body uses amino acids to build new tissue. There are plenty of amino acids in a fully plant based diet to adequately provide the body with all of the building blocks it needs. Don't believe the protein hype.

• Hi all

This question may not be best-suited for this forum, but it seemed most likely because of the topic and might engage some experienced people. I searched and didn't find what I am looking for.

I am 5 weeks into keto, and thanks to cronometer, the forums, and the experts, everything is fine. I think it would be best to transition to a blood test meter. KetoMojo keeps coming up and I wanted to get understandable expert feedback from y'all as well as understanding what a beginner needs at a minumum.

I also, seriously, have fainted at the sight of blood and even get queasy seeing blood on TV! I know I will get over it, and I have read some tips, but it would be great to hear some experiences from squeamish people like me.

Thank you in advance.

• jerbir, you and I are at the same stage doing similar things by the sound of it. I've never deliberately stabbed myself before now either.

The lancet point (28G, whatever that measures) is extremely fine and consequently not painful. Paper cuts are painful, hand on drawing pin is painful, the stabber isn't. I have the radio news on and press the stab-me-now button when a new voice gets to the third word, that way I don't have to decide about it. Then the mechanics of having to squeeze my finger to get a large enough drop takes over.

I left the stab strength at 3 out of 5, I've not experimented.

• @spot , LOL as well! What brand do you use? That's the one I will buy. I liked your tips!

• I'm in the UK and if you're in the US this might be a local brand. It's "SD Codefree". I chose it because the test strips are cheaper than others and because it's described as accurate in reviews. I reckon bringing the lifetime cost of ownership down while getting trustworthy answers is the way to choose. I've seen prices per fifty range between $10 and $60. I'm only using one a day on waking, I'm nowhere near testing either side of every meal to see what the ingredients did to me, that's obsessive for my purposes.