Logging Dried Beans

I normally cook dried beans pretty often; couple times a week or so. Haven't been doing it lately but want to get back to it. Have always had a hard time finding the right database entries though. I'm only interested in the values for the dried beans. I'll add my own sodium and account for the liquid weight myself. How can anybody know how soupy I like my beans? How long they are cooked and if they float in their own gravy. I only see a few entries that are entered that way. Any suggestions? Have all those below currently in the bean box.

• Pintos
  • Garbanzos (Chick Peas)
  • Black-eyed peas
  • Black beans
  • Great Northerns
  • Navy Beans
  • Split peas
  • Red Lentils

While I'm sorta on the subject, what do mature and immature seeds mean exactly in those databases?

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

Comments

• @OldHobo

I suggest that clients select gram measurements (or cups) from "cooked from dried" when entering dried beans that have been cooked themselves.

Mature and immature beans simply refers to the "ripeness" of the bean when it was picked. This may very slightly alter the amounts of some nutrients.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks for the reply Susan.

Those are weights of dried beans plus some quantity of water, the precise amount of which can't be determined. For those of us who cook dried beans from scratch it would be much easier and more accurate if the data for just the dry beans were readily available. The % difference between calories for "cooked from dried" and the calories for dried from the nutrition label can be calculated and that % used to factor the other 75 or so nutrients. I guess the good news is I'll only have to do it once for each type of bean. It wasn't such a big deal when I was only paying attention to calories but the Cronometer curated database has spoiled me to the point I want reasonably accurate data for as many nutrients as possible.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan