FIBER

I want to make this thread a fiber discussion basically. All about fiber, benefits, types, intake, etc.
I get over 100g daily on my plant based diet and was wondering who else eats that much fiber?

Comments

• Wow 100g daily! Do you know how much of that is soluble and insoluble?

I eat 30-50g of total fibre a day and I'm happy. Any more my fiancee won't be. :wink:

• I get over 100g daily on my plant based diet and was wondering who else eats that much fiber?

About ¼ of that on a good day.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

• @eyim

I am DELIGHTED that you created a thread about fibre (I'm in Canada, so we spell it weird :wink: ). I feel like fibre doesn't get the attention it truly deserves. Here's a quick list of why fibre gets me so excited:

• Increases feelings of satiety (fullness), which can help with weight loss
    • Promotes stable blood glucose levels
    • Lowers cholesterol
    • Facilitates the growth of healthy gut bacteria
    • Effective treatment for IBS and constipation

The vegan meal plans I create typically contain a minimum of 50 g of fibre per day., but definitely be as high as 100 g, depending on the calorie target.

Anyways, thanks for the awesome thread and be sure to post any comments or questions you have!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited February 2018

Glad I found this thread. I recently started eating keto and I've been having trouble finding good sources of fiber that don't also have a bunch of less desirable carbs. I just learned how to make flaxseed crackers, but I would love more options. Anyone have any suggestions?

• @kaitlin1am

Chia and hemp could also be used to meet fibre needs. I personally use Fibre 1 Original which has 0 g of sugar and 15 g of fibre per 1/2 cup when I work with someone with constipation. Even adding small amounts of this could help someone if they were constipated.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• This is purely anecdotal experience, but I find that since including fermented foods in my diet, I don't have regularity issues even on days following very low fibre or lower food volume consumption, when previously I would struggle. But on most days I do eat enough fibre, and have started to pay more attention to soluble fibre and resistant starches.

As for lower carb fibre sources, I get mine predominantly from leafy greens and nuts. I also know of psyllium husk and products like Metamucil, which provides a good source of soluble fibre.

• Hot, or cold, chocolate drinks are a pleasant way to increase fiber intake.

As part of my painless weight loss, and to increase protein relative to carbs and fat, I added protein powder to my diet. The taste however, was less than appealing, so I fortified these drinks with cocoa powder. Now I get fiber with protein, and it's a significant amount, for every 15 calories you can get 2 grams of fiber.

You can buy the stuff in bulk, (non GMO, gluten free, non alkalyzed, anti oxidant and mineral rich. and harvested by little Elves in the magical kindom of Peru), and so it's inexpensive per serving as well.

Funny thing is, I was never fond of chocolate, and so I hardly ever ate any. I think the stuff may be somewhat addictive because I have a mild craving for it these days. Something to think about, I guess.

Pillage, then burn.

• I love cocoa powder too!