vegan sources of calcium?

Hello. Just started using the diary. So far it seems I'm in foods containing calcium. Are there any vegan foods that could help me to bring my calcium intake up?

Answers

• oops. I meant to say "So far it seems I'm LOW in foods containing calcium."

• If I remember correctly, vegan sources of calcium such as from leafy greens tend to bind to oxalate, making it less bioavailable. Maybe you could try fortified foods like soy milk or almond milk?

• @paraonze and @Vickie

You are right in that some vegetables are poor sources of calcium due to the presence of oxalates (i.e. spinach). However, others are actually more bioavailable (i.e. better absorbed) than the calcium found in cow's milk. Here is my quick list of vegan sources of calcium , including how much calcium they contribute to your total needs:

• 1 cup plant milk (30%)
    • 1/2 cup plant yogurt (~15-20%)
    • Vegetables: bok choy, mustard greens, okra, turnip greens, kale, broccoli (13-25% per 1 cup cooked)
    • 3/4 cup tofu (38%)
    • 1/2 cup tempeh (9%)
    • 2 tbsp almond butter (11%)
    • 2 tbsp tahini (13%)
    • 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses (20%)
    • 3/4 cup soy or navy beans (13-18%)

I advise all vegans to consume at least 1 cup of plant milk per day in smoothies, oatmeal, cereal, etc. to ensure calcium needs are met. Also, because calcium is better absorbed on a vegan diet and there is less competition from high protein intakes, vegans may need slightly less protein than omnivores. However, this has yet to be proven scientifically and is more of a theory at this point.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks very much for your input. I will try some of the items on the list.