Options

Calories Burned Durig Activities

I have my profile set to "lightly active" to cover routine housework and errands but when I exercise, I manually add activities. Could someone tell me if by using this approach I'm being redundant?

My concern is that Cronometer might include calories during an activity that I would've burned as part of my BMR anyway just being sedentary.

For example: Cronometer shows that I burn 400 calories for a 1 hour hike. Had I instead been sedentary for that hour, I would've still burned 50. By manually adding activities when I exercise, am I getting "double credit" for my BMR calories?

Thx

Best Answer

• Options

Hi Lima,

Your activity level setting is an estimate of the calories you burn throughout the day beyond your basal metabolic rate (BMR), including activities of daily living and exercise.

'Lightly Active' adds calories equal to your BMR x 0.375. This would include light exercise 1-3 times per week in addition to going about your daily activities.

If you manually enter your exercise, I would recommend you set your activity level to sedentary to avoid double counting your calories burned from exercise. The calories burned during an exercise are in addition to your BMR, so you don't have to worry about double-counting BMR calories.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Answers

• Options

I'm confused. The activity profile pop-up on the profile page recommends the "light activity" setting. The pop-up also states that calories burned are adjusted when exercise is manually entered. Ms. Stark's response to Lima "seems" to contradict this. Also, under the recommended "light activity" it states "sedentary." Please clarify.

• Options

Hi Rinny,

There is both a sedentary and lightly active setting:
    The sedentary setting adds calories equal to your BMR x 0.2
    The lightly active setting adds calories equal to your BMR x 0.375
    We are currently updating our user guide and hopefully that will make these settings more clear.

When you manually add exercises to your diary this will be added on top of your BMR+Activity and further increase your calories burned.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer