Excess fruit intake

According to the Dr. Gregor diet, I'm eating 4 servings of fruit per day.

Is there anything wrong if I bump my fruit servings up to 6-7 per day? I enjoy fruit but I don't want to risk getting diagnosed with diabetes. Outside of fruit, my sugar intake is very minimal, perhaps 1 teaspoon or so per day.

Thank you

Comments

• @TimC00k

It's actually a myth that sugar causes diabetes. What leads to diabetes is 1) genetic predisposition and 2) excess fat tissue, particularly in the abdominal area, that leads to insulin resistance. Once someone has diabetes, it's difficult to digest sugar from food because insulin isn't working correctly or not enough is being produced.

Provided you have normal blood glucose levels, there is nothing wrong with eating that amount of fruit. The only side effect I sometimes see is increased gas/bloating. This side effect can happen if you eat a bunch of fruit all together with no other type of food. Fruit sugar is absorbed slowly in the intestine, so it's better to disperse your fruit intake throughout the day.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thank you Susan, I have heard this before, but there is so much misinformation out there, it's hard to know who is right and who is wrong.

I had two questions:

1. You mentioned that excess body fat can lead to diabetes. More out of interest, but is there a percentage body fat that has been identified, above which, the risk of diabetes is significantly elevated?

2. You said that it is a myth that sugar causes diabetes. Does that mean we shouldn't worry where foods fall on the glycemic index? I know entire populations have survived on a diet of potatoes, but because it is a high glycemic index food, I have stayed away from them, even though nothing beats a good baked or roasted potatoe topped with healthy toppings of course.

• @TimC00k

Great question!

1) An individual's risk for diabetes at various weights would depend on their genetic susceptibility and other lifestyle factors. For example, someone with abdominal obesity, who smokes, eats at restaurants often, eats few whole grains, fruits, vegetables, doesn't exercise, has a family risk of diabetes, and has a BMI of around 28 would be at a higher risk than someone with a BMI of 30 who exercises, eats a healthy diet, doesn't smoke, and has already lost 5-10% body weight. What I do encourage is reducing waist circumference to as close to the following targets as possible: >40 inches for males and >35 inches for females.

2) I would still keep the glycemic index in mind, but don't forget about the glycemic load. The overall glycemic index or load of our meal is more important than the individual components. While a potato is high glycemic, you can reduce it's impact on blood sugar by leaving the skin on and pairing it with something containing protein and fibre. And foods high in the glycemic index are sometimes advantageous as they provide a quick source of energy. My go-to recommendation for pre-race fuel for athletes is always a baked potato with salt added. :)

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• Susan, please explain the difference between type I (genetic) and type II diabetes (lifestyle/diet and exercise). Seems Tim is missing something here in your answers. We are all not pre-race athletes. We have jobs, families, other obligations. I do love a baked potato (organic) with only butter (organic) and salt (Himalayan). Pair that with a medium rare steak and broccoli (organic and steamed lightly)---Heaven. Glycemic index? I don't care. I'm-having some fun here with you.

• @gearup328_2619

Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are different sides of the same coin. In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas produces zero insulin (as a result of auto-immunity or the body attacking itself for a variety of genetic and environmental factors). As a result, no blood glucose, which is the body's primary source of fuel, is able to get into the body cells. If insulin is not injected externally, type 1 diabetes will be fatal. Typically type 1 diabetes occurs in childhood, but there are also latent forms of the condition that can occur later in life.

Type 2 diabetes is marked by insulin resistance (which typically, doesn't exist in type 1, however, there is an emerging condition called "double diabetes" where someone with type 1 can have characteristics of type 2 diabetes as well). The body interprets this resistance as a lack of insulin and tries to produce more. This is why blood sugars and insulin are often high in type 2 diabetes. At this point, medications, dietary changes, and exercise are often used to decrease insulin resistance. However, if insulin resistance persists, and excess insulin continues to be produced, the pancreas eventually "burn out" and stop producing insulin. At this point, the individual with type 2 diabetes will also need insulin.

One important point is that type 2 diabetes is largely influenced by diet and lifestyle, but genetic factors still play a huge role with certain cultural backgrounds being at a higher risk.

There is the thought in the scientific community that eating foods high on the glycemic index can contribute to the development of diabetes as they require higher doses of insulin to be absorbed. However, the glycemic load (the overall glycemic potential of a meal) as well as an individual's dietary pattern seems to be more relevant when considering diabetes risk.

Hope this helps! :smiley:

cronometer.com