Can we get estimated protein amino acid profile and other micro nutrients for some foods?

I try to eat whole plant based most of the time, but sometimes I eat brand foods such as powdered peanut butter, frozen berries, plant milks. It would be awesome if cronometer could just give an estimate for the protein amino acids for such foods. For example, if I'm logging a certain brand of canned black beans that has no salt added or canned corn, cronometer will display the macro nutrients, but I would like if it could also estimate the micro nutrients. I do know that I could find the whole food alternative and log that to the best of my ability, but sometimes, the macro nutrients don't quite match up and in the long run if I eat those same foods almost everyday, it could affect the trend or overall tracking. I would like if I could have the same macro nutrients that are labeled on those certain foods, in addition to having estimates of the micro nutrients, mainly protein amino acid, based on names of the branded food.

Answers

• Hi Cybernetic,

If you are looking for estimates for the micronutrient profile I would recommend editing a copy of the generic alternative. To do so, click on the Foods tab, then Search Foods. Look for the closest generic alternative to your food product in the Common Foods tab and open it in the food editor. For example, "Black Beans, Canned, Drained, Low Sodium". Click the settings menu in the top right corner and select Edit a Copy. Now you can edit the macronutrients to match your product label and keep the micronutrient breakdown provided by NCCDB or USDA. Save your changes and this will be saved as one of your custom foods so you can continue to use it in the future.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I think cybernetic was asking if the app could do it automatically. I realize that being able to add it in is nice, but it's a lot of work for people to do for every single food product that they eat.

When can you add this into your app so people know what the nutrient levels are in their Foods they're eating? This is a fabulous question as I do not care to take what supplements, I would much rather get my nutrition in my food. Thank you!

• That sounds like a great idea Miller234, thanks for your input! I will put this on our list of feature requests.

One way that we have tried to address this is by suggesting better alternatives.
    Our curation team is hard at work identifying products in the brand database that have generic equivalents with better data. If they’ve tagged a food as having a better alternative, we show you a handy link to the better option.

For example, if you search for Trader Joe’s Brazil Nuts, we’ll show you the better option below the serving details

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer