Where Is Calories Summary Bar

Hi, today (7-11-18) I logged in to my profile and saw that the Calories Summary Bar is gone, replaced by the Full Macronutrient Breakdown, which up until now was controlled by a setting I could change—that setting was a check-box called "Show Full Macronutrient Breakdown". Now that check-box is gone and I am unable to switch back to the summary bar. I really want to go back to the summary bar because it works for my needs MUCH better than the full breakdown. Can you help me with this issue?

Comments

• We have just released a new update for the Calories summary! You can access your calories summary by navigating to the profile tab and choosing the box next to 'Show calories summary in diary.

​​
    Let us know if you have any feedback on our new updates!

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited July 2018

Hilary, thank you for your prompt response. I understand that there is a setting to show the calories summary in diary, the problem is that now it ONLY shows the calories summary in form of a full macronutrient breakdown. Obviously the setting allowing the user to switch between that and the "bar" version was removed, because someone decided that it's better this way. I do have feedback about this update: Bring back the setting allowing the user to change back to the "bar" calories breakdown, and leave it up to the user to decide which suits them better. It should be obvious that the more interface and menus adjustments are left available to the user, the better for the company.

• Hello @ElderTreeSpirit ,

Thanks for the feedback; we really do appreciate it; positive or negative! User feedback is what drives our updates and changes, including this one!

The new calories summary visual (Pictured below) will hopefully provide users with a more streamlined experience on the diary page. We hope this new Calories summary will provide a more clear and concise breakdown of Calories consumed, Calories Burned and Calories budgeted for a weight goal.

The old 'Bar' Graphic has now been redesigned into the new circle graphs labelled Calories Consumed and Calories Burned. Mouse-over these graphics to view a breakdown of macronutrients and activities. We hope that the 'Budget' graphic will improve clarity of the weight goal. Mouse over this graphic for even more information!

I encourage you to try out the new Calories summary for a couple of days and let me know anything you find you struggle with. We will use this feedback for further updates!

Best,
    Hilary

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• I would like to try out the new calorie summary graph, however under my account settings under Macronutrient Targets there is no checkbox to tick labelled "Show Calories Summary in Diary".

• Hi @LWB you are unable to view this check box because the Calories summary visual is probably already visible on your diary page! Log in to the web version of the Cronometer app to check it out! :smile:

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• I would also like to see the old Calories Summary bar back to the way it was. It made it very simple to just look at the percentages of protein, fat and carbs. That is the purpose of entering in the Macronutrient Target percentages. Looking at the old bar made it simple each day to see that I stay within those percentage guidelines.

• Craig, the percentages are all still there on the 'CONSUMED' pie chart. They are the exact same values as were shown on the bar, but wrapped around a circle instead of a bar.

• Thanks Aaron, that helps a great deal.

• Concerning the new Calories Summary Bar, what I'm missing most is seeing my "kcal deficit" numbers.
    I've assumed it has to do with the purple box called Budget. But do I also assume that that purple box already has taken into account the kcal's needed for my weight loss in the Macronutrients Targets setting?
    Example: if I need to have a deficit of 998 kcal, and the purple box reads, say, 50, would that mean I have 50 kcals I can still eat before dipping into my 998 kcals for weight loss? And if the purple box says, say, -50, then I am dipping into my 998 kcals by that much?

• edited July 2018

On my iPhone I can see where I am allowed 1742 calories, and it also shows how many calories I have consumed. But on my desk top it is not showing how many total calories I have consumed. To me this is important when I am logging in on my desktop. Why is it not showing how many calories I may consume, (1742), and why is not showing the total sum of calories consumed so far? And I have no purple box either. I like the old calories summary better. Please change it back. Thank you. Okay. Found it under profile. So sorry for the trouble! My bad.

• @Kimberly if you hover your mouse over the purple box, you'll get a full explanation of the numbers, but in short, yes the budget is showing you how many calories remaining for your weight goal. A negative calories remaining means you;'ve gone over your budget by that much.

• Thank you Aaron, except hovering my mouse over the purple box does nothing ... wait ... I just noticed when my mouse is on the purple box, I can see at the very bottom of my screen, a small part of a red box that looks like the info you said, but the rest of it I'm not able to see and of course I'm not able to scroll down because the cursor needs to stay on the purple box. Is that a glitch in the new update maybe? How can I get this fixed please?

• edited July 2018

Hi @Kimberly,
    Make sure you have selected 'Show weight goal' in the settings menu of the calories summary!
    Would you mind sending a screenshot of the problem you are experiencing to support@cronometer.com? I'd like to look into this for you!

Hilary
    cronometer.com

• I am trying to understand this new display:

• Calories consumed - obvious
    • Calories burned - I believe this # is rebooted every day and shows the # of calories just to sustain my weight. If I exercise, that # increases.
    • The difference between the two is what I am not sure of. It is named BUDGET and says CALORIES REMAINING. I assume this number that is displayed results from a calculation from the Cronometer Program that calculates how many calories I have left today to eat in order to meet my goals?

I just want to make sure I understand this as there is a pop up box that provides a totally different number. If I am correct about the 3 bullets above, then I will stop trying to figure out the pop up.

Thanks in advance

• Hi Jerbir,

You have the first two points spot on! The Budget takes into account Calories Burned minus Calories Consumed to show you how many calories you have left to maintain your current weight. If you have a weight loss goal, the budget will show you how many calories have remaining to reach your weight loss goal
    i.e. Calories Burned - Calories Consumed - Calorie deficit required for weight loss goal

The pop-up box gives you a bit more information about how many calories you need to maintain your weight, and how many you need to meet your weight goal. It is handy to know how many calories you need to maintain weight, since going over that could lead to weight gain.

In the example below, I have burned 1491 kcal and consumed 761 kcal and have a weight goal of -1 lbs per week (this requires a 499 kcal deficit at the end of the day)
    1491 kcal -761 kcal - 499 kcal = I can eat 231 kcal to reach my weight loss goal.

The pop-up also shows how my calorie deficit to maintain my weight:
    1491 kcal - 761 kcal = 730 kcal deficit

If I use the same example with a -2lbs per week goal (this requires a daily calorie deficit of 998 kcal)
    1491 kcal -761 kcal - 998 kcal = I need to burn 268 more kcal to reach my weight loss goal

The pop-shows that I still have the same calorie deficit to maintain my weight (730 kcal) but I have gone over my weight loss budge by 268 kcal.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Thank you @Karen_Cronometer . I am slowly getting there. Bottom line: my purple box shows a positive 332 (while stating that it is "calories remaining"), which means that to maintain a 2# per week weight loss, I want to stay as close to "0" in that purple box without having a negative number in that box? And on the keto diet, hitting the preset percentages? (I know there is another post on this topic of the presets, and at this point in my life, I have to trust the presets). Cronometer has been a huge help to me, but this change a while back has really thrown me.

• Hi Jerbir,

Happy to help! It sounds like you are on the right track to reaching your targets.

All the best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com