Options

Help with setting goals

I am having a really hard time determining what my daily calories (kcals), protein, carbs, and fat should be for weight loss. I think my carbs should be 20 grams or less per day. I hope to lose weight so if anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Options

Hi! Are you trying the ketogenic diet? (you mentioned eating 20 g or less net carbs per day, which is keto). If yes, I recommend visiting the keto subreddit on reddit, there is a lot of information about this way of eating and weigh loss! :) As for the daily goals, net carbs should be under 20 g (if you want to do strict keto). Recommended protein intake is between 0.8 to 1 g of protein per kg of your weight - maybe more if you excercise. It's easy to calculate. In Cronometer Profile, set your diet to High Fat/Ketogenic, and Cronometer will automatically set these goals for you. As for fat, if you eat keto, you don't have to worry about it too much, people generally advice to eat until you're full, and you don't even have to meet the fat goal (only protein should be always met, for body maintenance). I'm on keto myself but I'm no expert (few months in). There is a lot of information in this FAQ.

• Options

@StacieK

If you are hoping to lose weight, I would set your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week. This will restrict your maintenance calories by 500 calories per day. On keto, you will experience an initial rapid loss due to the restriction and loss of water weight. However, to continue losing weight, your daily total calories should still be considered.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer