Options

How do regular blood donors use the app?

I’m curious how other regular blood donors use the app. Do they adjust their diet in app in the week leading up to and preceding donation? Or do they just continue using it as normal and just sort of disregard that they are not going to fit into their usual plan and pattern during a particular time? I find I must eat significantly more in the days leading up to donation or I am simply denied donating due to insufficient iron and hemoglobin levels. And the same goes for the days to week afterwards or can’t pick myself off the floor. Other friends of mine who donate have similar experiences; while I’m not assuming it’s universal, I would guess it’s common enough.
I donate only about twice a year.

Comments

• Options

@Wooster_and_Jeeves

Since Cronometer allows custom targets, I would increase your target for iron a few months before and after donating blood.

As a starting point, aim for at least an 80% increase in iron (i.e. your needs x 1.8). If you are already hitting this value, increase whatever your current intake is by ~80%.

Alongside iron, you may also want to bump up your intake of vitamin C to enhance the absorption of iron that you are consuming. A ~50% increase should be sufficient.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

I used to donate blood every few months and moved on to donating plasma every 2 weeks later, but I didn't have to change my diet. Sometimes I became more ravenous the days following a donation (usually full blood; plasma doesn't affect me as much). I just let myself eat. I use Cronometer as a guide only, not strict rules. It all balances out in the end.