Options

homemade almond milk

As homemade almond milk is unfortified, I would like to be able to choose this as an option on Cronometer, instead of just using the 'unsweetened almond milk' option, as I'm pretty sure this is a breakdown of a fortified product. I found this info re nutritional breakdown of homemade almond milk, and wondered if this could be used to create a 'product' on Cronometer for homemade almond milk. I understand that it's possible to use the 'create your own recipe' option, but as the pulp of the almonds is thrown out at the end, it becomes a guessing game how many nutrients actually remain in the milk. https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/3155994/1

Comments

• Options

Based on the external nutrition data you found, the entry "Almond Milk, Plain, Original, Unsweetened" in the NCCDB probably has added vitamin A, D and calcium. I would create a copy of the NCCDB almond milk and fix those numbers. Should be fairly close after.

• Options

This was helpful, I made it a custom food, took out Vitamin A and D, changed calcium to 300, since it's 378 per cup and I figure I'm not eating all the pulp. My milk has only 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup almonds to 8 of water. My blender makes soup so after 3 minutes of blending it has thickened enough to make me happy. Yeah, watery for others but the price of almonds or any nuts, wow! Thank you for idea.

• Options
    edited July 2020

This is what I came for, thanks!
    Anybody else doing this, 1/4 cup of almonds is only 87.42 mg of calcium. No idea how much is lost during the straining process. I had to change a few vitamins that showed way more than what almonds actually have. And BTW homemade almond milk strained through a cheese cloth is extremely delicious! Enjoy!