New feature request - Meal Planner and grocery list generator

Love Cronometer! In using it I have entered many recipes. It would be helpful to be able to make them into a menu and then generate a grocery list from the ingredients. Related to this, it would also then be good to allow folks to share recipes. You could even have them tagged or posted under different diet types (e.g. vegan, paleo, keto, etc.).

Comments

• You can share recipes now, by using the friends functionality in the profile.

I know that meal planning and grocery lists have been brought up before, so I know its on the list somewhere.

I wrote in a post recently what I do for meal planning, which is to use OneNote to get a general idea of what im planning to make, then creating shopping lists based on that. During that time, im picking out recipes from searches online and generating shopping lists. I dont actually create the recipe in Cronometer until I make it, in case I make a last minute change during the cooking phase (which I tend to do a lot).

--
    Tim

• damn aprently i just lost a large post about how me and @tcolivOH are only friends, i gave an emoji :'( ...then went on about how "Yeah a list would be awesome" then complained that the Fry's website tells me where items are located too, then doesn't include it on the print out....then made mention of how cron-o-meter should do a colab with grocery chains to 'rate' the food....

DAMN! too many edits on it i guess...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• @tcolvinOH : Yeah, that is what I do. Make a list each week in excel and then make a grocery list off of that. It would be nice to tie that function into cronometer so that you could do some calorie planning.

Another thing would be ability or import a recipe and have it calculate the nutritionals. I know that is hard to do in any sort of automated way.

Great food tracker though. I have used many and this is by far the best.

• lol, just noticed i spelled your name wrong @tcolvinOH ...sorry bout' that..

And cron-o-meter does let you import JSON files for recipes, but all i found with a quick google search was minecraft stuff...

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Yes, there needs to be an standard format for recipes. JSON looks to be a usable data structure but then the trick is getting everyone to use it. I am a little out of my element here. The last coding I did was in BASIC on an Apple IIe!

• The challenge with importing data is absolutely getting things in the right format prior to import. And most people arent going to want to mess with changing the format. "Just take my recipe from X and allow me to import it into Y". They dont care about the details/formatting/technical issues.

Although I do like the idea of being able to import data into the system for those of us who are willing to do the work. Or somehow make a tool that is intelligent enough to transform text into a recipe type format. This is something that is possible now, with some work.

--
    Tim