ZINC -bug?

I have ZINC in my daily supplements; it is not recording the correct number of mgs in my data.

Comments

• Sounds like an issue with the custom food.

If it isn't your own custom food, you should report the supplement item under the "Foods" tab, search for the food and select "Report Issue..." in the top right gear icon.

If it is your own custom food, you can change the correct micronutrients for the entry also under "Foods". Remember to scroll back up to hit "Save Changes".

• OK, thank you. I do not use standard FDA recommendations, as I believe them to be old school. That's a good hint for the save...I'm sure I miss that option at times.

• I don't think I understand what you mean by using "standard FDA recommendations"... What I wrote above has nothing to do with it?

• not sure if i'm following this conversation right. but be careful with zinc supps, i take a couple mg's diluted and if i don't get enough copper, i start spewing blood out my a-hole from abscesses! just my experience....

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• edited October 2018

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up, bracconiere. I just today, was reading about that pairing and haven't a clue about anything copper...so instead, I dropped it from those tracking gadgets...lol. Not only that but on the zinc daily minimum, I had to jury rig the numbers because I could not get the total reading to reflect my dosage in the micronutrients breakdown.
    (Part of my impatience curse). (Don't tell anyone). heh

• I still don't think what I said had anything to do with RDA... I was pointing out that the food item you added to your diary may not have accurate information, hence not showing the mg you expect it to. Maybe I've completely misunderstood your original post and someone else can jump in and help out...

• edited October 2018

@Vickie, i think @Kirstin99 is young posibly? and excited about all this still? :)

reminds me of the good old days back when i first started at 31...

I think your right though...nothing to do with RDA, just not showing correct numbers in diary...

i was just saying that in opinion most zinc supps are WAY to strong, and i dilute 2 50mg tabs in 10 gals of (cough, cough) 'water' so i can just get the 10 i need. if that. i've never seen a zinc supp less than 30mg, and couldn't find anything less than 50 last time i needed a bottle...

And YES this is way off topic! Many apologies! :#

i just wanted to warn @Kirstin99, about TOO MUCH zinc. And the relationship it has with copper....

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Hey bracc...someone was already registered as plain Kirstin!! And no, I'm not young...in fact I could easily be the oldest one here, but still a looong way from 99!

• And as far as zinc goes, my Solgar something tablet is 22 mgs. The label says 200% daily need. Maybe I should take it every other day? New and enthusiastic? No, I'm just a Foodie and a Health Nut!! :#:D:o There is just SOOOO much to learn <3

• edited October 2018

well damn, you can still type like a young'un! lol

22mg's is better than 50mg...i just wanted to say keep an eye on the copper:zinc ratio bar...

because zinc is a common supplement but, i 'sometimes' need a copper one too, which is usually too much also. i add 1/2 gram copper gluconate to a liter of water and just take a teaspoon of it, for maybe half to 1 mg most supps are 5mg....or maybe two depending on the day...and like millia and biotin, if i don't get enough copper i seem to get a-hole abscesses...

just my experience though, your results may vary! :)

(and that's why sig says i'm an amateur, i just learned about the magnesium:calcium ratio last month!)

• I have never really heard about the need for copper...I'm going to Google it to see where it occurs naturally in foods. I already take 15+- supps daily!! I love Cron-o-meter, but I believe there are many quirks in it regarding computation, etc between grams, milligrams, and recording of micronutrients. This is partially why the 95% targets are rarely met. I try not to get caught up in minutiae--just too time consuming, bracc.

• edited October 2018

you know cron-o-meter and, nutritiondata.com have a search for highest in feature...at the moment nutritiondata's is better but limited to just the old USDA db....

when i first started this i made EXTENSIVE use out of it!

• and speaking of getting caught up, i find your exuberance infectious! lol, good times, good times...sorry if it makes me put my foot in my mouth

• edited October 2018

and not to be a run on off topic poster...But they also let you search for Lightest weight and lowest calorie! for a nutrient.

and i think given a couple months of searching, you'll start to think 95% is a breeze!

• edited October 2018

search for Lightest weight and lowest calorie! for a nutrient. HUH? Kinda like a mini-cheat?

given a couple months of searching, you'll start to think 95% is a breeze...
    searching and fixing you mean? haha

• I'll bet you don't know what Gremolata is. Tag, your it! >:)

• i did find it on google, but besides knowing it would have vitamin k from the parsley...it just told me it was a condiment.

as far as a 'cheat'? what are you a scrable player that thinks using the dictionary is cheating? i always hated that game for that reason! :)<3

• The dictionary if fine once the word is laid down. I found Gremolata on a food channel. There was a reference to it and, never having heard it, I looked it up in Epicurious.
    Lemon peel, parsley, and garlic, all chopped fine. Do you enjoy cooking?

• Dark leafy greens, dried fruits such as prunes, cocoa, black pepper, and yeast are also sources of copper in the diet... I don't need to supp copper as I'm big into salads and nuts these days...also oysters have copper. I had oyster stew last night.

• oysters are also the top of the dictionary for highest in zinc...

my cooking involves lots of bean flours..

• I think oysters boost DHA, too...but I don't know anything about DHA except that our brains need it. Bean flour - totally new to me. The reason being? For thickening or baking or are you going to tell me to Google it? OK, I will. heh

• Ahahahaha, you can't google it! i've tried! no one uses bean flour like i do! makes it hard to perfect the process!

the most i've ever found on google/youtube is socca, and moi-moi....the moi-moi gave me the idea to make bean flour tamales though, filled with a kale/cheddar filling...not too bad...

Mostly i mix bean flour with vital wheat gluten to replace white flour in baking...white flour isn't nutrient dense enough for my 'style'....

• I'm very impressed bracc, I know what you mean - those white flour tortillas disappear in a good bowl of green chile and pork stew!