Options

How do I calculate the macro’s (and micro’s) of home-mde bone broth?

I have been making home-made bone broth from the carcass (and most of the skin) of a standard (29 oz) store-bought rotisserie chicken.

I soak it in vinegar-water for an hour and then simmer it in a crock-pot for 12 hours.

Then I stain out the bits while still hot (so that the fat and gelatin come through the sieve into my storage containers).

This yields about 4 qts of savory broth with a layer of visible fat at the top and gelatin at the bottom of the containers after refrigeration.

I tried to look for a commercial bone broth that might be comparable, to use tgat as a proxy for my own “home-brew” in my food diary.

But they all seem to be very low on fat, which does not appear to be the case for mine.

Is there some generally-recognized “create a food” item that others have found to be fairly accurate for home-made bone broth?

Thanks for any guidance.

Best Answers

• Options

Hi @Mark,

Unfortunately, without access to a nutritional lab and database, it's impossible to know the exact nutritional content of your homemade bone broth.

What you may want to try is using the nutrition facts for bone broth then adding some additional "chicken fat" by measuring how much is floating on top (i.e. tbsp or g).

Hope this helps!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options
    Answer ✓

Thanks, Susan. I’ll skim off the fat after cooling, weigh it in gms, put it back in the broth, and add that info to the recipe ingredients.

Answers