Dandelions

My aquaponic buddies are making fun of me for planting weeds in the growbed.
There is so much Vitamin K in dandelion greens that it seems too good to be true; way more than any other greens I normally eat. A few leaves are the equivalent of a whole bowl or Romaine.
Plus the flowers and roots are edible although I haven't stumbled across the numbers for them yet.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

Comments

• We used to make salad from the leaves when I was a wee lad. I liked mine with egg yolk at the time.

Pillage, then burn.

• But is it good so much Vitamin K if its function is to coagulate the blood ?

I apologise for my misspellings, as English is not my native language.

• Good point Marus. I'm no expert but I'd say if your Doc has advised restriction of the likes of kale and spinach, then you might ought pass on dandelions too.

Moderation is a difficult ideal around ice cream and bourbon. So far though, it hasn't been a problem with greens. But that's just me.

:)

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

• @Marus

There's no concern re: high vitamin K intakes unless someone has been placed on warfarin. For anyone taking this type of medication, it's important to aim for a consistent intake of vitamin K day-by-day.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Old Hobo....you will have the last laugh. Dandelion greens are a super green!

• the best is to mix and match (romaine/dandelion)...then you get the high vitamin A of the romaine, and the high vitamin k of the dandelions...perfectly covers your 'vegetables'. I'd recommend 4-5 seeded raw jalapeno's too for your fruits also.

And yes my buddy always poked fun at me when i went to his place to pull his weeds...
    And now that i moved out of the area I've got to spend $1.50 a bunch at the store on them..

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• good observation....vit A and K. Dandelions are so bitter but so good for you so I always include a few leaves in my greens. They are more than a $1.50 here, maybe we should start growing some of those "weeds"!

• Can I eat wild dandelions that grow randomly in my backyard ? I mean, they are all eadible, or should I specially cultivate a particular variety ?

I apologise for my misspellings, as English is not my native language.

• i know this is a health forum. but i'll say it anyway, the bitterness of dandelion reminds me of chewing tobacco, which is what got me hooked on them.

and i ate the wild dandelions. just not the ones out of my front lawn where the dogs and cats walked by. :)

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• I hate to report...but tragedy struck today at the super market...i looked and looked, but they have stopped carrying dandelion greens.... :(

• We sometimes have them here in Ohio, but they're hit or miss and I think I've only ever seen them at one store (and there's a fair amount of places to shop here).

Just like with snow...dont eat the yellow. This rule does not apply to eggs.

--
    Tim

• I love dandelion root coffee, but like you Ive had no luck finding nutritional data for it.