Options

monkfruit

Does anyone know why Lakanto Monkfruit advertises that it's sweetener is zero net carbs when the package lists 4 grams of carbs per serviing? What am I missing here?

Comments

• Options

Hi Crono_C,

Monkfruit sweetener contains the sugar alcohol called erythritol. Some manufacturers do not include sugar alcohols as digestible (net) carbohydrates because many sugar alcohols contribute fewer calories than sugars. For example, erythritol contains about 0.2 kcal/g compared with glucose - 4 kcal/g.

Sugar alcohols are chemically different from sugar and they do not produce the same insulin response as eating sugar. This may be more important than calories for those managing conditions, such as diabetes.

Cronometer gives users the option to track total carbs or net carbs. And further gives you the choice to include sugar alcohols in net carbs or to un-tick the box to subtract sugar alcohols from net carbs.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options
    edited November 2018

Karen,

Thank you for the explanation, but I'm still not sure that I'm understanding. Monkfruit/erythritol and stevia are new in my household since starting a high fat/low carb, ketoish diet (I say ketoish since we have yet to start tracking ketones/glucose levels). I'm finding there is a learning curve in the switch. I do appreciate you showing me how to turn on or off the sugar alcohol inclusion since I didn't realize that was a thing.

I understand the difference in the body's chemical process of sugar vs. keto recommended sweeteners. However, I'm still unsure about the carb part. If there are carbs in monkfruit, is it not a good idea to track them even under the net carbs? (The back of the package says 4 grams carbs per tsp serving.) Or, are you saying that because sugar alcohols are not digested as sugar, it's ok to not track them? Not sure what to do here. I'm mostly concerned about this for my husband who was told he is prediabetic. I want to make sure that he is tracking foods appropriately.

Thank you for your patience in my asking,
    Christina

• Options

Hi Crono_C,

The sugar alcohols are counted in the amount of total carbs:

total carbs = sugar + starch + fibre + sugar alcohol

Net carbs = total carbs - fibre
    or
    Net carbs = total carbs - fibre - sugar alcohols

There is some controversy around whether or not to count sugar alcohols in net carbs, so we give users the option to decide which is better for them. I would recommend speaking with your health care provider if you are not sure which approach is right for you.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Thank you Karen!