nitrate is not trackable, am I correct?

Comments

• Hi ibi,

That's right - Cronometer does not track nitrate.

With a Gold subscription you can create custom biometrics to track anything you can think of! As long as you know about how much you are consuming each day.

Select Add Biometric in the diary. Next, select the green + icon on the left to create your custom biometric. Once created, you will find your custom biometrics in the drop-down list of biometrics to quickly add it in the future.

Best,
    Karen

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• well I might just get gold for that.

One more question karen. I noticed that vitamin E has beta, delta and gamma tocopherol but no alpha. Is by any chance the value Vitamin E itself the alpha value?

• Yes, it is.

I apologise for my misspellings, as English is not my native language.

• @Marus is right - alpha-tocopherol is the form of vitamin E with the highest biological activity and the one reported as vitamin E.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• @Karen_Cronometer can I then assume that the main vitamin A value (in IUs) is also the form of vitamin A with the highest bio activity? meaning beta carotene?

• No, the main Vitamin A represents 4 substances: Retinol, alpha-Carotene, beta-Carotene and beta-Cryptoxanthin. The last thre are converted in Retinol equivalents and added with Retinol itself.

• ibiibi
    edited January 2019

@Marus so Vit A main = RE+RAE+(B-carotene) + (A-carotene) + (B-cryptoxanthin) ? result converted to IU of course.

• edited January 2019

No. It's a little bit more complicated.

Vitamin A (RAE) = Retinol [ug] + ( beta-Carotene * 0.08333 ) + ( alpha-Carotene * 0.04166 ) + ( beta-Cryptoxanthin * 0.04166 )

Vitamin A (IU) it's and old and inaccurate notation. It overestimate carotenoids.
    1 IU = 0.3 mcg retinol
    1 IU = 0.6 mcg beta-carotene

You cannot covert one to another without knowing all components.

The true total Vitamin A in Cronometer is found in "Retinol Activity Equivalent" nutrient from "Vitamin A" category.

• @Marus hmm this makes things tricky. But what if a food does not have all the components, what if it has just beta carotene, no alpha etc?

btw can you link me to a source concerning the calculation you provided? thnx

• ... then you cannot calculate the total Vitamin A activity, or convert from IU to RAE.

Here it is: https://dietarysupplementdatabase.usda.nih.gov/Conversions.php