Options

On the keto diet, what is a healthy amount of saturated fat

How much saturated fat in grams should you aim for on the keto diet and or cholesterol. I just had my cholesterol checked and it doubled from 134 to 239. The LDL went from 69 to 174, the HDL went from 48 to 52 and the triglycerides when down from 86 to 64.

I'm 152 pounds and 5'6"

I think I was eating way too much saturated fat in order to get 75-80% of my calories from fat, but it seems impossible not to eat alot of saturated fat in order to get the fat in. Do you have any recomendations on how adjust my diet so I can still get the high percentage of fat, but not so much saturated fat? I eat alot of eggs, bacon, cheese and salami, along with low carb veggies and some protein.

Answers

• Options

Hello,

The general population is advised to not consume more than 10% of total calories from saturated fat. If you have elevated cholesterol or established heart disease, then it is recommended to not consume more than 7% of total calories from saturated fat.

You can determine how many grams the above looks like using the following formula:

= (calorie target x .10)/9
    =grams of saturated fat per day

E.g.
    = 2000 x .10 = 200 kcal
    = 200 / 9 = 22 grams

I'd suggest trying to get more of your fat from plant sources (which will contain less saturated fat):

• Nuts and seeds
    • Nut and seed butter
    • Avocado
    • Olive oil
    • Flax, hemp, walnut oil

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer