Daily calories

Hi I've just started using Cronometer today and have calculated my macros using the Ketogains Calculator. I've entered all of my details into Cronometer but am a bit confused about something..... My total daily calories are 1648, I've eaten 1395 but the app is saying I can eat 1049 more calories to reach my goal? Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks

Answers

• Hi RichG,

We need a little bit more information about your settings to figure this one out.
    What are your calories burned? Do you have a weight goal set? The calories you have remaining will be based on: Calories burned - calories consumed +/- weight goal

Would you mind sending us a screenshot of your calories summary to support@cronometer.com ?

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Hi and thanks for your reply. Calories burnt is 3193, calories consumed is 1395 and cardio - 489kcals. My weight goal is set to lose 1.5lbs a a week. I'm aiming to lose fat but remain muscular.

Thanks

• Hi RichG,

Bingo!

3193 kcal burned - 1395 consumed - 748 kcal for weight loss = 1050 kcals remaining

If you are using the Keto Calculator to set your macronutrient targets, this will dynamically calculate your macros based on how much energy you burn each day.

If you would like, you can set fixed targets instead that will keep your energy and macronutrient targets the same each day.

Learn more about setting macronutrient targets on the mobile app here: https://cronometer.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020092331
    or let us know if you have any questions!

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Thanks for that, I've checked my settings and they are set to fixed target so I don't understand why its telling me that I can eat over my daily cals?

Also I'm not quite sure on the calories burnt during exercise... I thought that burnt calories weren't taken off the calorie total ie that's how you lose weight? Or am I misunderstanding it?

Many thanks

• edited February 2019

Choosing Fixed Values in your macronutrient targets will update the Macronutrient Targets section, find this by swiping the top banner to second screen:

The Calories Summary will show you the difference between your calories consumed and burned so you can keep an eye on the calories you need for maintenance.

You can also see your budget, which includes your weight goal, if you have one set.

The difference between your calories consumed and calories burned is what will contribute to weight loss, maintenance or gain. The weight goal settings in Cronometer allow you to dynamically calculate this value each day to aim for steady weight change over time, by consistently achieving the same calorie deficit. Some may find it easier to maintain the same deficit everyday, especially if you burn a lot of extra calories during workouts.

By setting your own fixed energy target, you may have variable calorie deficits, as this won't take into account the difference between what you have eaten and what you have burned. Some may find it easier to eat the same amount of calories each day while following a diet plan.

Which approach you prefer is up to you!

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Hi Karen I've set everything as per your instructions but I'm still confused about the budget..... All I want is to see is how many calories I've consumed and how many left from my set total. The budget seems to tell you that you can eat more than your total set calories? Think I'm having a mental block!šŸ˜…

Many thanks

• Hi Rich,

The budget shows you the difference between calories consumed and calories burned. Your calories burned comes from your basal metabolic rate (BMR - the calories you burn carrying out basic body functions) and the activity level you have chosen in your settings.

From your info above, this is:
    3193 kcal burned - 1395 consumed = 1798 kcal
    You can eat a total of 3193 kcal that day to maintain your weight.
    Given what you had already eaten, you can eat 1798 more kcal to balance your calories in and calories out. This area is giving you the facts about how many calories you have burned and how many you have eaten.

This is separate from your energy target that you have customized with a Fixed Value.
    This target bar will show you how many calories you have consumed compared with the target you have selected.
    Since you have selected a custom fixed energy target that is much lower than your calories burned, this target is much lower than your budget.

It sounds like you want to pay attention to the macronutrient targets area.
    This is how it looks on the mobile app:

I hope that makes more sense - let me know if you have more questions.
    For example, setting a weight goal will complicate these calculations a bit. Though I do recommend that you choose either a weight goal OR fixed macronutrient targets but not both at the same time.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com

• Hi Karen, all sorted now thanks. I deleted my account and started from scratch... I'm now getting a balance circle not a budget. This is exactly what I need.

Is there a way to split the diary into groups ie breakfast, lunch and dinner without using the gold account?

Thanks

• Hi RichG,

Splitting your diary into groups is one of the features you get with a Cronometer Gold subscription.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com