Going Keto!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Eliisa and I work here at Cronometer! I haven't formally introduced myself on the forums yet. I promise I will get around to telling you all about the variety of things I do here in the near future, but first I am hoping to get some assistance...

I recently decided to go keto - not to lose weight - but to reap the benefits of the keto diet; particularly the touted benefits of more energy and greater mental clarity. I know that a lot of you Cronometer users are ketogenic pros and I am hoping to draw on your guidance and wisdom to be successful with this lifestyle change. To this point my diet has largely been comprised of carbohydrates (to say I love candy is a massive understatement!) so I anticipate the switch to mostly fats and protein to have it's challenges. That being said I wholeheartedly welcome any advice you might have throughout my journey!

To keep things interesting I am going to post about going keto on our Instagram account (@cronometer_official) - I will give updates, track progress and break down this lifestyle change in honest terms. I welcome you to follow along and see what happens! I also welcome anyone who is also debating going keto to join me on this health journey; I am committing to the next 30 days with the option of continuing indefinitely.

Thank you so much for taking a moment to read this! Wish me luck!
Eliisa

Eliisa
cronometer.com
As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Comments

• edited May 2018

Good luck! During the transition to ketosis especially, try to consume extra electrolytes - particularly sodium, potassium, magnesium. The water loss flushes those out. Broth or bullion helps. 4-5 grams of sodium per day isn't typically too much...

• A topic that rages in the Keto community is the issue of protein! It's either high fat or high protein; with passionate advocates for both approaches! Which are you following Eliisa? :-)

EileenJ
    Cape Town, South Africa

• How is it going so far Eliisa?

• I'll be your keto buddy.

• I am just starting Keto and found this site - awesome so far. I have only been logging for two days. I have type 2 diabetes so this is a little intimidating. I started with a fast then dove right into keto a week and a half ago. Been getting dizzy spells. Had the keto Flu last week. 5 ft 6 @ 193 trying to get to 165 - 170 . My bp and my diabetic blood tests have been awesome. Have not lost one pound - frustrated! Would love to have a mentor who is Keto, Diabetic and willing to share experience and knowledge!

• "I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• Make sure plenty of flax, chia, hemp and psyllium because movements can become difficult with high fat and protein and low carb.

• Make sure to watch your PRAL Alkalinity score. You can balance it out with 16 oz of juice from spinach, celery, tomato and garlic each day. Nutricost ketone salts are good for that as well. Also be sure to take Omega 3 fish or krill oil because keto diet has a tendency to be very high Omega 6 and very low Omega 3 so your 3-6 ratio will be really skewed.

• @YogiSteven - these are all good tips. Since I understand the majority of the effect of your suggestions, but others might not, Im going to ask why these are important? Its easy to get confused by all of the nutritional recommendations that are available, but I find when the recommendations are explained, it seems easier to buy into the recommendation.

For example, hydration is important no matter what, but a ketogenic diet can be dehydrating, especially in the beginning, which makes it all the more important to take in lots of electrolytes. As you know, being dehydrated can lead to all sorts of issues, including fatigue. This is a common symptom that people have when they switch over to keto.

Good stuff!

--
    Tim

• I've been doing keto for two years without tracking my macros. I'm hoping to tie up some lose ends with cronomenter. I'm trying to figure out how to save a food from the food search, with all the data in tact, to my food database. Can it be done?

• edited January 2019

@debbietay , You can't add a food to your diary from the Foods tab, but you can find the exact same food (with all the same data) by going to your diary, then selecting "Add Food" and using this search function. You can also mark a food as a favourite here.

Hilary
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I’m new to keto and this app and I don’t even know if I’m doing keto right!!!

• @Harbinder_Kooner1 If you are learning both at the same time, I would suggest slowing down a bit. Begin by learning how to fill out your profile and choose ketogenic diet as your guide. Then learn how to enter foods and amounts.

Get a KETO book (or 6 like I did 😂) and try some of their guided plans to begin. There is much to learn on bot the app and especially KETO. Take it slow and in a week or two you will be on your way to the lifestyle. Come back and ask questions often!

Maria H
    My story: jumpovertherattlesnake.com/

• Start here with Dr Stephen Phinney who has been researching Ketogenics for over 40 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IEuhp8RFMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHJmqhMzKtE

• I can also refer to an article from here

• I've been LCHF or Keto off an on over the years. Just restarted with keto on Dec 16, 2018. Love using Cronometer for tracking to see I'm getting all my micronutrients. Egg yoks and liverwurst are my friends.

• Dietdoctor.com is my go to site.

• Hi there, I realize we can post here, but I'm looking for a support buddy and/or accountability group to check in with daily. Is there an appropriate place to do that on this site? If not, are there any boards that anyone knows of for daily check in? I am not a big fan of facebook for this purpose because I think it tends to lend itself to shorter posts, lots of pictures and not enough analysis.

• Hi ketocat, I have been practicing keto for nearly 4 months now and am happy to join you in transforming this thread into a support group that others join in on. I too have been looking for a support group, joined and left a few on Facebook as some were really only promotional groups for moderators’ paid programs or like you said, full of short posts that come and go quickly, very fast paced. About me, I practice keto mainly for health though am currently wanting to shed some belly fat so have begun 16:8 to help with that. I love keto and feel so much better from adopting it as a lifestyle. So much healing continues to take place and I have never felt so free of gnawing hunger that used to always be in the background. ketocat, and anyone else, what are your goals and type of support do you seek?

• you get keto breath and keto crotch! just be fore warned!!

• I have been on this journey since April, 50 lbs down and hit a plateau . Been backsliding so getting back on track.
    Have no idea about how to calculate macros I eat nothing in a package so I know I need to start weighing food.

• I too am doing keto! Im nearing 2 weeks since i started! So far I've adapted quite well to the change, I'm also vegetarian. My husband is tired of listening to me talk about keto this, carbs that.... lol. Id love to be able to have a group to turn to with a common interest. I also fast, although that's not new. I try to stick to OMAD... although it's very loose. So i probably fast let's say 18-20 hours a day.

• I should also add my partner does not do keto nor is he a vegetarian hahaha so there's a lot of modifications but we make it work 😁.

• I am struggling to consume sufficient fat while restraining my overconsumption of protein. Also, sugared, cured bacon is bad, right? I cannot find ANY bacon without sugar although I can find some that says "uncured." I'm also worried because I am a sugar-aholic with a sweet tooth the size of Everest. I've had no problem cutting calories using cronometer, but I'm struggling with the keto end of it. Thank you, in advance.

• edited January 2020

Get your macros from Optimal Ketogenic Living Facebook group. They will need to know your sex and height and goal (whether it’s to gain, lose, or maintain weight). Choose in Cronometer the Fixed Macros (not Keto), and type in your MINIMUM protein goal (you can safely go over by 50% if hungry), and your maximum fat and carb limits. You should not be trying for a fat goal, unless it’s 50 grams, which should be fairly easy to meet if you’re eating whole, animal sourced proteins.

• Sugar in all bacon? Wow, I guess it's true what they say about the American diet. I'm in the UK, and the only bacon I could find on Google with sugar was one labelled "American style"

So somewhere there will be a shop selling sugar free bacon, and labelling it "British Style".

But I wouldn't sweat it. The US bacon was only 1g (1/4 tsp) per 100g (4oz). The salt will mask the sugar from your taste buds, the fat and protein will buffer it in your stomach, so it shouldn't trigger any response. Log the carbs against your daily limit, and keeping looking out for zero carb bacon and stock up when you find some, it freezes well.

• Publix has its own brand of Lower sodium bacon that is also “cured without sugar.”