Calculate Starches

Have the database calculate Total Carbs-Fiber-Sugars-Sugar Alcohols=Starches and insert the value in the Starch field.

Comments

• I would love the carb count total for each food listed rather than the calorie count, myself! Is there a way to do this and I haven't seen it?

• Thanks for the feedback!

@YogiSteven I'll have to ask @Karen_Cronometer but I don't know if that calculation would be 100% accurate.

@janieshere you can do that! In the options menu on the Diary screen there is an option called Diary Settings, which allows you to set what nutrient is listed in your food log as you described. This is a Gold feature though, so you would need a subscription to access it.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Spencer

Spencer D.
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• TY! I may have to upgrade then!

• I think that would be the best way to calculate Starches. If you subtract all carbs that are not starches from total starches the remainder must, by definition, be starches. It is a tragedy that the FDA does not have/require an entry for Starches on nutritional labels. Because along with sugars it is the #1 cause of obesity and diabetes and so many metabolic diseases! Of course the agra and processed foods and pharma industries thrive off of stuffing the population full of cheap, profitable grains and starchy vegetables so they don't want people to be able to easily see how much is in their products. But people really need help being able to easily identify that information so if you can have the application do a remainder calculation to insert that value...that would be HUGE.

• @YogiSteven That is how starches are calculated when all the information is available - for good examples, look at foods from the NCC database - they really go above and beyond to measure the carbohydrate components in foods.

You will not see starches listed for foods where the nutrition information is limited to the nutrition facts table . Nutrients listed on a package can be calculated from the ingredients in the food, and then rounded to whole numbers. This introduces a larger margin of error. I recommend using a food item from the NCC or USDA databases over a specific brand name product to get the most accurate starch content of your foods.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer