Options

Protein Requirements

I just read "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance". The suggested amounts of protein for active people, like myself, are MUCH higher than the set amount in the moderate profile on the cronometer. This setting only allows me 43 grams of protein a day, which I feel is very limiting. While I don't want to overeat protein, I do believe I am not getting enough following this recommendation. Today I set the amount per pound to 1.2, which is still low but a little more feasible. I work out 6 days a week - 3 to 4 cross training, 1 to 2 days of weight training, 1 day of Yoga, and a few hours a week of core training. I also walk daily - at least 4 miles. Is 1 gram of protein per lean mass enough? I am not an athlete but I am active!

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017

Hi Fitbiz1:
    Are you using the ketogenic diet setting?

I have mine set to custom so that I could increase the amount of protein allowed. There is also a box you can checkmark (Athletic Bonus) that will allow you to have more protein (a higher protein goal) as you exercise more.

I exercise about 90 minutes a day (moderate to high exertion) and eat more protein as a result. I have found that I can eat a higher amount of protein (and slightly higher carbs) while staying in ketosis because of the higher than average exercise. In the past, I believe the higher level of protein help to curb my hunger and preserve muscle tissue while i lost 60 lbs.

The thing is, the 'recommended' level is also based on the 'average' person who is sedentary. You'll need a higher amount of protein to rebuild and repair your tissues/muscles from all that exercise.

• Options

Hi Fitbiz1:

I exercise about 90 minutes daily (weight training and cardio split into two different parts of the day, the cardio while fasting). I have my protein set to 1.5 and I also clicked the box called "Athletic Bonus" that automatically increases the amount of carbs allowed. I've found that if I'm burning 1000 or so calories a day through intensive exercise it allows me to stay in ketosis even with the increased protein and slightly higher carb levels.

In the past I lost 60 pounds while consuming about 135 to 150 grams of protein daily (but with significant exercise). The studies I read at the time indicated that the increased protein would help to preserve muscle mass while losing a higher percentage of body fat.

The problem I think is that the RDA of protein is based on an 'average' person - most of who exercise little and spend most of their time sitting. You'll need a higher than average protein level because of all the muscle/tissue repair and healing that must take place with high daily exercise.

• Options

Thanks so much! I found that if I ate two chicken wings and a normal amount of protein naturally found in other foods I was done for the day. It seemed crazy. I am going to increase it slightly. Thanks again.

• Options

@Fitbiz1

The Clinical Practice Guidelines on Sports Nutrition state that few elite athletes will need more than 2 g per kilogram of body weight per day (to get to kg, just divide pounds by 2.2). Most athletes require, on average, between 1.2 to 1.7 g of protein per kg of body weight. More protein doesn't equal better performance; our bodies are usually only able to absorb 20-30 g of protein at a time, with the rest being excreted in the urine.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Hi

Cromometer tells me i should be having 41grams protein, 20 grams carbs and 120 grams fat. i am 5"11 and 68KG with 25% body fat. light exercise daily

when i put my measurements into several other calculators it tells me i should be having around 90 grams of protein.

i am worried i am not getting enough protein. i am confused about what i now should be eating

can anyone help on this please , thanks pam

• Options

It took me a while to adjust to cutting back on protein but 41 grams sounds about right. Also what method are you using to determine your body fat etc. I am using a BMI scale - I work out 6 days a week - a variety or activity - from cross training to weights to yoga. I weigh 127 lbs - 5' 3" and the scale says I have 27% BF. I think that sounds high but I ok with it since I use the same scale - at least I am comparing apples to apples. I am going to schedule a DXA scan so I can get a better idea as to exactly what my BF is and also where it is stored. I lost 10 lbs on this program in just a few months!

• Options

@PAM

The RDA (or recommended dietary allowance) for protein is 0.8 g/kg/day. It has been suggested that this level may be too low for many populations, especially seniors and athletes. A more pragmatic target is 1 g/kg/day. The other recommendations that have been set in Cronomter are because of the macronutrient settings you selected.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

fitbiz1 I used visual to select bodyfat. cromometer says 21% with my data imput and i cant change that on the profile page, i have entered it in boimetrics but it didnt make any difference. i changed my settings so maybe correct now
    Show Full Macronutrient Breakdown

1 grams of protein per kg of lean body mass
    20 grams of non-fiber carbs per day
    now it tells me 51g protein, 20 g carbs, 114g fat.

as my exercise is moderate like yoga or a brisk walk i did not include as i thought better to work out without then adjust as i do exercise

so maybe this will work better for me. i suppose i can up the protein even more to see if that will kick me into higher ketone readings.
    as i am only just in