Options

Help with macros

Hi there need a little help with my macros I have read that the average person to build muscle needs 1g of protein per pound of weight . I have worked out that this would be 273g of protein but I do not want to get too much or too less of fat or carbs so wondering what the ratio would be on what’s left . My daily calories are 2494.i would be very grateful if anyone could help

thanks

Comments

• Options

@GS1315

Unfortunately, there is a lot of pseudoscience out there. Really, to build protein, you need around 1.7 to 2.0 g per kg of ideal body weight. Your ideal body weight is the weight at which your BMI would be no more than 24.9 kg/msq.

Here's how to figure out your protein needs:
    1. Calculate your ideal body weight = height in meters (use google to help) x 24.9. This will be your ideal body weight in kg.

1. Multiple your ideal body weight by 1.7-2.0 g; this is how much protein you should aim for per day.

I also suggest setting your protein target (in your diary) to this amount, and not worrying too much about macros.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Thanks you . Much appreciated

• Options
    edited August 2019

Typo in @Susan_RD_101's comment, I think! There should be another lot of "height in metres" in the calculation: (height in m) x (height in m) x 24.9. Otherwise your ideal body weight will be way too low!