Protein Daily Values in Cronometer

edited July 2019 in General Discussion

I am a bit unclear about how Cronometer determines the daily values for protein?

I am about 65kg, fairly fit (my Whitings scale says 9.7% fat today), vegan and trying to keep my protein intake relatively low. I have a Fitbit Versa syncing with Cronometer.

Cronometer estimates that 100% of my daily protein intake should be about 113g, which is way above the 0.8g per 1kg I understand is sufficient and likely optimum. I have trouble keeping it at 0.8, so I average about 70g or so, while getting all my essential amino acids covered, with plenty of room to spare.

"The National Academy of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of **0.8 grams** of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day, or just over 7 grams for every 20 pounds of body weight. "
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

What is the basis for the Cronometer guideline on protein and shouldn't it be adjusted to a level which is considered healthier (at least until one is in their mid-60s)?

Comments

• @Blobo

Your Cronometer target for protein likely reflects your macronutrient targets; if you'd like Cronometer to reset to the 0.8 g of protein per kg, I'd suggest changing the macro targets to "fixed". However, keep in mind that the macronutrient (10-30% of total calories) and RDA (0.8 g/kg/day) for protein may not be the same number.

Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks, Susan!

You are right, I took a look and my settings were to track the default macronutrient target ratios. Once I set it to "Fixed," it dropped to 0.8g per kg (which now that I really look at, I am exceeding by 136% to 148%).

But just for my own education, isn't setting the protein ratio at 25% by default (and I don't believe I had changed anything, so it must be the default Cronometer setting), kind of too high? It's significantly higher even than SAD.

• @Blobo

To be honest, I'm fairly disinterested in macros since they tell us little about an individual's quality of protein. :)

My standard protein recommendation is ~1 g per kg of body weight; I'll adjust from there based on body size/health/goals/type of diet followed, etc.

Kind regards,

cronometer.com

• edited August 2019

In scanning info in this cronometer forum; I came across a comment "To be honest, I'm fairly disinterested in macros since they tell us little about an individual's quality of protein. " by Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, cronometer.com

Susan, I am wondering if you could clarify that comment. I am wondering which "micros" you are disinterested in? Are you saying you give your priority attention to the calorie, protein, fat, and carb info. plus the protein break down? ... and possibly take cronometer's other micros information in with a gain of salt?

• @Capt_Bill69

Exactly. :)

I prefer to see an individual's total grams of carbs, fat, and protein (although, I tend to use macros more when it comes to fat) and focus in on the quality of foods that are providing these macronutrients.

If weight loss is anyone's goal, focusing on calories is essential. From there, I like to see a slightly higher intake of protein, good fibre intake, with adequate fat and carb (the latter two are individualized to the person's preferences).

cronometer.com