Possible explanation for high fasting blood sugars....

I have been pondering for a long time as to why on say the 5th day of a water fast that my glucose is over 100.

Recently I have wondered if it is just insulin resistance at work.
Insulin resistance doesn't just go away because you are fasting and the glucose is being manufactured by gluconeogenesis rather than being supplied by the diet. Right?

I am also wondering if "insulin Resistance" is a variable thing that varies with other parameters, say adrenaline levels for example. That would explain some of my good glucose readings during a fast.

Anyhow this thesis seems to fit what is happening. Time will tell.
What are your thoughts?

Joe Tittiger
Seymour MO
joe ATT Tittiger DOTT com

Comments

• edited August 2019

Sharing Ideas: Not as Expert, but as enthusiastic researcher who has been trying on a Keto Diet the last couple of months.

While Mercola's "Fat For Fuel" book grounded my first round of deeper wake up lessons, my favorite book lately, for health support details as been Dr. Bozworth's "Anyway You Can" book. I value her info., as she is an Internal Medicine M.D. helping allot of patients (and followers) get off pharma drugs and turn around challenging health conditions, including via her Youtube Classroom (I track other favorite teachers too.) I have just been reading in Boz's book how during a fast, we can get glucose released into our blood from stubborn livers, and also from fat cells after we cut the sugar and carbs (and on a fast: all proteins, fats, and all calories). On pages 149 - 151 of Boz's book, there is a lesson around the question: "How long will your storage of glycogen last? Good Question." That lesson contrasts normal sized livers to livers that have been stretched and stuffed with too many carbs in recent years. ... Might be a good read if you have not already come across those pages. ... for whatever that is worth.

I have sometimes wondered about the accuracy of my glucose meter when wishing for lower glucose number (I have been there): I purchased a 2nd new Contour Next One Smart Meter, Monitoring System which shipped with 10 glucose strips on Amazon for $6.30, ... to kind of double check the accuracy of the first one I was using (while not absolutely an accuracy test, ... seeing the contrasting numbers were close enough, released my questions).
    If that idea perks an interest: the link to that deal is:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W53ZLTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    (link worked 8.17.2019 / and a previous order had some delay in shipping)

• Thanks for all of the information Bill. Her YouTube Channel looks interesting and I just subscribed to it.

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO

• Here is a great video that you lead me to. She talks about stress and adrenaline contributing to high blood sugars when fasting and also that muscles could store glycogen that is not released as I had thought in the first 2-3 days of fasting. Muscles hold onto some of it until you actually exercise them! Not even finished watching it yet:

Where does Glucose come from? Understanding Glycogen with Dr. Boz

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO

• edited August 2019

Good for you. ... I think Dr. Boz's Classroom on YouTube is a treasure cove of health support. I am both impressed and grateful to find out she is helping more of her patients get off of Big Pharma Drugs than she is prescribing drugs via her Internal Medicine Practice.

I often research my curiosity by using YouTube's search engine with the name of one or more of my favorite health support teachers - followed by a short phrase. So ... Dr. "Eric Berg high fasting blood sugars" in a YouTube's search produced this Dr. Eric Berg's video clip (as one option that shows up)
    Reasons for High Blood Sugars in the Morning  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12njrfrfMg4

While not specifically about your 5 days of water fasting situation, might also have some insights for you if you are wondering from different angles. ;+) Bill

• Thanks again,
    Yea I was not on board at all with that lady docs use of chemo and pharmaceuticals. Seems counter to what she is trying to do. Hopefully she will wise up as I don't think either is the right path.

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO

• Yo tittiger, I am wondering which health support teachers resonate with you.

• edited August 2019

I listen to a lot of podcasts, read lots of books
    1.) Ben Greenfield Fitness. He is one of the brightest out there by far IMHO,
    2.) Keto answers by Dr. Anthony Gustin
    3.) Cellular Healing TV by Dr Daniel Pompa and cellular healing TV
    4.) Myers Detox by Wendy Myers
    5.) The energy blueprint by Art Whitten
    6.) Keto talk with Jimmy Moore and Will Cole
    7.)The model health show by Shawn Stevenson

Also you can find info on their web sites and on YouTube,

This is but a small part of what I have been listening to over the past 7 years or so, when I fired my doctor that was trying to practice thinly veiled eugenics on me rather than medicine and healing.

Good luck and thanks for the links that you put up.

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO

• Studying for your Health; Good for you. I'm Curious: Would it be safe to say your top three favorite info sources are at the top of your list, #s 1 ,2,3 ?

• Just listen to them all. Pick out what topics interest you from their DL'd playlists.
    I like to use podcast addict I think it is called.
    Who you listen to depends on what you want to learn.

Real Cellular detox is a hard thing to get info on and I think it critical to do it.
    Dr Daniel Pompa and even Wendy Myers have pretty good into on this modality.
    Look at Ben Greenfield for info on adding niacin to your sauna sessions for possibly the best cellular detox possible. L Ron Hubbard of all people came up with the protocol. Again real cellular detox is likley the thing that most people IMHO are missing in their health routines.

Good luck keep in touch.

Joe

Joe Tittiger
    Seymour MO