Kcal

Hello, this might sound like a stupid question but “KCAL” is that the same as calories? My allotted calories are somewhere near 2,700 is that even normal?

Answers

• I was confused too. In common usage calorie and kcal are interchangeable. Technically 1 kcal = 1000 calories, so technically 1 Oreo cookie has 53,000 Calories and 53 kcal but in ordinary conversation that is an irrelevant distinction. One Oreo has about 53 calories.

As to the question, Is 2,700 calories per day in a normal range, I should remain silent and let the more learned members or staff answer. But for comparison; I'm a 232-pound sedentary man and Cronometer says I'm burning 2,236 calories per day. If I were to consume 2,700 calories per day, I would expect to gain about four pounds per month.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

• @Hidee

For all intents and purposes "kcal" is the same as "calories". The calorie target calculated by Cronometer reflects the calories you need to maintain your current body weight at a certain level of activity. If your goal is to lose weight, it's useful to indicate this. Also, try to be as accurate as possible with activity by not double counting activity through a watch and the app (i.e. set Cronometer activity to sedentary).

Let me know if you have further questions!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer