Am I double counting? Fried eggs.

When I make sunny side up eggs I'm logging it as "Fried eggs" and also logging the 1 tbsp of olive oil I add to the pan. Am I counting the oil twice (there's also some oil in the pan, obviously, so I know it's a slight overestimation)?

Comments

• Yes.

If you look, eggs (raw, cooked, poached, boiled etc) are 125kCal/80 g. Fried is 175kCal. That must be coming from the fat.

I'd use the raw value + oil if I was you (and the "fried egg" for when you order in a restaurant, and don't have control over how much oil)

Caveat: I've only been using cronometer for a few weeks.

• Thanks- the calorie differences confused me, because it seemed odd, even though things have different nutritional value cooked or raw.

• @SilverStar the fried egg food from NCCDB is a recipe that includes the egg plus a source of fat to fry the egg in. This is a good option if you are not sure how much fat to include with your egg. @jefmcg has a good suggestion if you would like to include the source of the fat you used at home, giving you the option to be more precise.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Thanks! I noticed in the first week my Omega 3 to 6 ratio was off (almost all 3), so I do want to track the type of oil used.

• Follow up, how can I tell if it's a recipe or just the cooked version? Like, broccoli, cooked, is that fried, steamed? Or chicken wings, cooked? Fried, baked?

• Hi SilverStar,

The NCCDB uses the typical method of preparation for cooked foods and recipes. In this case, broccoli is boiled.
    The USDA often includes more information in the name about how the food was prepared, so you can try searching for your method of preparation.

For example, chicken wings:

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• I think jefmcg is correct but forgot one aspect.
    Food changes when it's being prepared.
    Most raw food contains water that might be lost during preparation. The calorie/gram increases because of that.

Example:
    100 grams of raw carrots contains 41 calories. That's 40cal/100gr.
    You prepare them in a oven without adding anything.
    You take them out the oven and measure them again.
    50 grams. But the calories are still in there. 50 grams of water evaporated.
    That's 40cal/50gr or 80cal/100gr.
    Cooking doubled the calories per weight.

-fictive numbers-