Options

Hwo do I determine the protein, fat, carb levels if I'm whole food plant based?

I'm surprised there isn't a vegan diet category. Not sure whaty protein, fat, carb ratio should be.

Answers

• Options

I would use "Fixed Targets".

• Options

i would say just figure out how to get your Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids, and Lipids...See how it works out?

I am an amateur. I've been using CRON-O-Meter for 10 years and counting, still learning.....

• Options

Agree with the above! There is no specific ratio for someone following a vegan diet. In practice, vegans that I work with typically eat 50-60% CHO, ~15% protein, and the remainder coming from fat.

My focus would be on meeting targets for nutrients and protein and let the macros fall where they do. :)

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

I am more surprised by the fact that there is no clear way to select vegan foods. Even in the vegetable-based food categories all sort of non-vegan stuff pops up...

• Options

I would just make sure to eat a little more than the official RDA for protein which is 0.8 g/kg/d, also the default quantity in cronometer.
    0.9 to 1.1 g/kg/d seems to be a more cautious intake for vegans (source: Davis-Vesanto, Becoming Vegan, 2014).
    More may be needed if practicing strength sports, although only some regular bodybuilders would arguably need above 100 grams of vegan protein per day (sources: various interviews from pro vegan bodybuilders Delgado and Washington).
    bottom line: if vegan, better to set in protein a custom amount higher than the omnivorous RDA.
    Carbs, fats, that depends on your habits and likings, as far as the sources are natural and unprocessed are natural every ratio is probably good (assuming obviously you have no conditions like T2D and so on).