Calorie Deficit set @ 1.5# loss - Keto

just double checking here as my deficit seems high for 1.5# loss/week - Cronometer is telling me 750 kCal dificit and my BMR is 1450 - that leaves me 700 kcal....? I have been successful on 1200kcal with a 1-2 pound loss in the past. Maybe its just this system and I should set it at a 1# loss, even though I intend on a 1-2# loss? 700 cal/day is more extreme that I think beneficial.

Comments

• Hi KetoDee,

Cronometer calculates the calorie deficit required based on the amount of energy found in fat.

1.5 lbs of fat contains about 5250 kcal.
    In order to lose 1.5 lbs of fat per week, would require: 5250 kcal / 7 days = 750 kcal deficit per day.

Choosing a more moderate weight loss goal will increase your calorie goal for the day.
    1 lb per week will subtract about 500 kcal per day
    0.5 lbs per week will subtract about 250 kcal per day

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Crono also figures in exercise and if you log your exercises or link up a fitness tracker your calorie count will increase.

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

• @KetoDee

I wouldn't recommend eating lower than your BMR (the purple/pink section of the "Burned" Wheel). Doing so can make your body think it's starving and significantly lower your metabolic rate. (I have a blog coming out on this soon!).

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com

• I think I will adjust activity to sedentary instead of comatose - I chose that because of my tracker. Otherwise it says I am ‘over a lot, even tho I haven’t even eaten to BMR.

• edited February 2022

@Karen_Cronometer - I am revisiting my settings and truly confused. For me to ‘eat’ not less than BMR of 1466, the only setting is maintain. Any time T tick any weekly loss I will be eating below the BMR. What am I not understanding? I would like to lose 40# and therefore I am best around 1000-1200 kcal, but getting stumped by the app calculations.
    Image with settings at maintain and ‘comatose using tracker’
    And set at 1.5#/week

Thanks

• edited February 2022

Oops, thread was meant for @Susan_RD_101 Cannot see how to edit previous comment. Thanks

• @DBanks5

My recommendation is to determine your current energy expenditure by considering:
    1) BMR
    2) Activities of daily living
    3) Exercise calories

From there, I'd substract ~250- 500 kcal/day, trying to minimize going below your BMR (it's fine if it's a bit below). Few people actually eat below 1400 successfully.

In your settings, you may have selected a weight loss target that is difficult to achieve. If you're not carrying that much excess weight, your daily calorie deficit will be much less than someone with greater excess weight.

Let me know if you have questions!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com