Your Opinion of the Iodine Protocol?

Hello fellow Cronometerites,

I had an amazingly positive reaction to the "Iodine Protocol" of Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc, Vitamin C, Sea Salt, Vitamin A.....but most of all Iodoral 50 mg. Yes, I took a chance but the results have been astonishing. Issues with depression that once loomed larger than life have faded, OCD symptoms have become a non issue, my muscular strength increased, my walking stamina increased to the point my dog tired before I did. I literally went from having trouble walking around the house to daily walking in the park for 30 to 60 minutes. Also I believe my my metabolism increased hugely. Honestly I can't begin to explain what a miracle this has been in my life. I'm a 60yoF. Endometrial CA dx in 2015. Total hysterectomy in 2015. I decided to take the higher dose because of the cancer dx and breast cysts.

On the negative side, it did increase my pulse and blood pressure especially during the first few days of usage, so I cut it down to 25mg. per day. That has brought pulse/BP to normal but benefits are still there, but not as pronounced. Pain in joints has also much decreased.

I also take Boron 35mg, and been ketogenic for last 4 months, most days.

Like many here, I have had nothing but bad results from MD's, however, I can't help but wonder about the safety of this amount of Iodine.

I'd love to hear the experience of other's here and the staff.

Thanks!

Allisa 4757

Answers

• @allisa4757 I've learned about the iodine supplementation program I use from Stephanie Buist, ND HC

• Hi Phyllis. Me too. I just wonder if it is safe to take 50 mg of Iodine.

• edited October 2017

In her 3/7/2015 revision of "The Guide to Supplementing with Lugol's Iodine," she writes: "The iodine doctors are now beginning to believe that 50 mgs may be the minimum does required. Many iodine group members are finding that dosages of 100 mgs cause them to feel the best. While this is anecdotal information it is interesting to note." She also gives specifics of dosages for Pregnancy/Lactation, Cancer, and Children.

• Yes, I'm just not convinced that high doses are safe.

• Hello,

Thank you for starting this important thread. Does of 50 mg of iodine or 50,000 are NOT considered safe and should be avoided. At such large doses, hyper or hypothyroidism can occur, putting an individual at risk if there is any underlying heart disease. Intake of iodine should not exceed 1100 mcg per day.

With any nutrient, more is not better. I also think it's very important to consider the source of your nutrition information. Many individuals providing nutrition advice may not be regulated, which means that they are not liable for the information they provide. If you have any concerns about your thyroid health, I would request your family physician refer you to an endocrinologist.

I attached some background information on iodine supplementation to help guide you to a safe dosage: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/iodine#excess

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer