How much liver is really safe to eat?
I have not had to worry about my vitamin A intake until now. I discovered a brand of liverwurst which was like the kind I had in childhood, i.e. correctly made so that it was actually good. I was eating 2 to 4 tbsp a day on some seed crackers for the last 3 days, because it was almost no carbs. Then I noticed the vitamin A content was sky high. 1 oz. which is 2 tbsp. has 7843 IU vitamin A which is 336% of the Cronometer RDA. Two oz or 4 tbsp. is 672% of the RDA for vitamin A. There is vitamin A in other foods I eat so I actually can't afford to eat any liver, or at the most, 1 tablespoon, and thus, what's the point? A food so toxic in Vitamin A that you can eat only one tbsp. - how is that possible, or is the whole RDA/toxicity system wrong? It is well known that polar bear and shark liver are toxic. But beef and pork liver and liverwurst are common foods in North America and Europe. Why are there no warnings to avoid too much liver? A 4 oz. piece of broiled liver, which is a small serving (most restaurant or home cooked portions are larger), has over 20,000 IU of vitamin A. I can't think of any other way but to throw away the rest of my liverwurst to avoid toxicity because it is so good I cannot just eat one tablespoon! I certainly can't take a multivitamin if I ate even 1 tablespoon of liverwurst. That would increase the overdose of Vitamin A. I don't like thinking liver is more of a medicine than a food, to be used in minuscule amounts only, and therefore making it palatable is making it dangerous because you want to eat more than 1 tbsp. Thanks in advance for any replies.