Options

A Question About Pasta

I understand that whole wheat pasta is a better option than regular primarily because of its fiber. I follow a Mediterranean Diet plan and love pasta dishes. Whole wheat pastas, according to America's Test Kitchen, are improving in flavor and texture. Their top recommendation is Bionaturae brand. Any recommendations for other brands that folks here like?

Comments

• Options

@Nemo

Have you tried any of the bean-based pastas (made from lentils, black beans, and/or chickpea flour)? I still prefer whole wheat but for vegetarian/vegan kids or a quick source of protein, the bean pastas are great (although pricey!).

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

Any recommendations for other brands that folks here like?

I like Racconto, imported from Italy and made from 100% whole durum wheat flour. I also like Kroger brand 100% whole wheat pasta including penne rigate, spaghetti, and lasagna. I think there are a couple more but those three are on my pantry shelf right now. I also like the Kroger 100% whole wheat wide egg noodles.

I detest Hodgson Mill whole wheat pasta. For years they were the only whole wheat pasta on the shelves of major grocery chains. They tasted taste awful and gave whole wheat pasta a bad name it is still living down.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

• Options

Yes, I've tried Kroger brand whole wheat pastas and like them. I've never tried Racconto. Where do you buy this?

• Options

Nemo April 23
    Yes, I've tried Kroger brand whole wheat pastas and like them. I've never tried Racconto. Where do you buy this?

I bought a case of twelve 16 oz bags of Racconto whole wheat penne a good while back. Certain of this because I'm reusing the box on a pantry shelf. Not certain who I bought it from though but probably either Amazon or Walmart. I see both are currently carrying Racconta pasta.
    I think I've also bought it from Kroger instore but won't swear to it. Doesn't currently show up in an online search of Kroger products.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan