Coca-cola Zero

There is so much information on internet. So many views. I lost track.

When I add Zero to cronometer it shows it almost contains nothing. So that sounds good. Or?
In a certain diet it's taught that sugar causes blood sugar spikes, and those spikes promote the storage of fat.

But Zero doesn't contain sugar so it's safe. Or not?
It's also said fake sugar imitates real sugar so it tricks the body into fat storage.
If that's true then even zero calories can cause weight gain or slowing down weight loss.

Idea's on that?

Comments

• @Krav

Great question! It was previously believed that artificial sweeteners are a good way to prevent weight gain. However, studies suggest that regular consumers of diet and zero calorie beverages don't appear leaner than those consuming regular pop. The reason may be that artificial sweeteners still stimulate a dopamine response (since they are interpreted as "sweet" in the brain). And any time we taste sugar or sweet, we tend to want more of it.

Professionally, I don't feel that diet pop is better than regular pop. However, regular pop will result in a more immediate and sustained spike in blood sugar, so would still be a preferable option for anyone with diabetes.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Understood but I have an additional question.

So artificial sweeteners can promote gaining weight. Let's assume the person drinking that zero pop is on a diet. Calory intake is way below BMR. The body may even be in keto phase burning fat.

So my question is, how can zero trigger fat storage when there is nothing to store? The body is burning fat to keep energy levels up.

Compare it to this. Friends may convince you not too burn your whole wages every month and put some in your savings account.

But how would you be able to do that if your wages are so low, you have nothing to save…

• @Krav

The studies approach this issue from more of a global standpoint and suggest that people tend to overcompensate as a result of consuming diet pop. Professionally, I would still recommend choosing diet over regular. While neither is a "health food", I do feel that diet pop has fewer negative outcomes than regular pop. Does this make sense? Keep up the great questions!

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited December 2019

Hi Krav:
    The answer to your question is a little more complex than just whether artificial sweetners can cause a blood sugar spike.

The issue is that not all 'artificial' sweeteners have the same impact on the body.
    Some artificial sweetners ( I use that term for so called natural sweetners also that are not 'sugar') do have an impact on bG levels while other artificial sweetners have no impact.

The goal would be for you to do some research and use the artificial sweetners that do not impact insulin levels. Currently I use a product called pyure. Stevia is a good one. Aspartame (talking about soda) does not impact insulin/bG levels (though limiting amount would be a good idea)

One very important thing you have to pay attention to also is what other the other ingredients mixed with the artificial sweetner.

My story: as a diabetic every morning I'd have a big cup of coffee with just an artificial sweetner. I noticed on days I did not have the coffee my bG level didn't go up as much. I discovered powder I was using (an artificial sweetner called splenda from walmart) had as the primary 'filler' ingredient "maltodextrin'. This breaks down in the body and causes an insulin spike. Once I changed to Pyure the spikes stopped. I try to limit my intake of artificial sweetners, but to answer your original question some are good and some bad (like monk fruit).

Matthew