Options

Protein quota

I recently started using Cronometer as I transition from pescetarian to vegan/plant-based.

I've noticed that the protein targets seem very, very high. Today it suggested my target is 270g.

I'm 180lbs, 6'1, and have always had fairly high metabolism. I have Cronometer connected to my Garmin Forerunner 35 (with chest strap HR for workouts). The Garmin today said I burned around 5,000 kcal.

Nevertheless, 270g of protein seems bonkers. Is this potentially a glitch with Cronometer? Or is my understanding of nutritional targets off?

Thanks!

Answers

• Options

Hi bspringer,

When your Macronutrient Targets targets are set to Macro Ratios Cronometer will dynamically calculate your macronutrient targets to achieve the ratio of macros based on your calorie budget.

Your energy target will be derived dynamically from your total calories burned for the day (BMR, activity, and exercise) as well as your weight goal. Note that the calorie target will dynamically change throughout the day if you log exercises or change a weight. This will also consequently change your macronutrient targets.

For example, if your daily burn is 2200 kcal, and your weight loss goal is to lose half a pound per week, this will require a 250 kcal energy deficit, your energy target for the day will be 1950 kcal (2200 kcal - 250 kcal). The protein, carbs, and fat targets will all then be calculated based on the chosen ratio to balance at your calorie target.

You could instead set your Macronutrient Targets to Fixed Values, if you would like them to be the same each day. You can set specific gram amounts for each macronutrient using Fixed Targets. Check out these settings in the Settings Tab, under Targets.

Best,

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• Options

@bspringer

Sedentary vegans need around 1 g of protein per kg of healthy body weight. Given your activity level, I'd aim closer to 1.5 g per kg, which would be ~125 g per day. As a vegan, it's recommend to meet this protein quota throughout the day, rather than having concentrated doses 1-2x per day.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer