Hypoglycemia

I am a non-diabetic and have normal fasting glucose. Occasionally, especially in the afternoon, I get tired and slightly shaky. This is relieved by eating something. I eat a balanced breakfast and this usually occurs about 5 hours after a meal. Assuming everything else is normal, could this be from hypoglycemia?

Comments

• without knowing what you ate for breakfast, I would agree that it might be hypoglycemia. When I was younger I would get similar symptoms. I checked my bG a couple of times with a friends bG meter and my bG was low (not real low, but below normal). If that is correct, then you may have very early stages of your body coping with carbs. I didn't recognize this at the time and eventually developed diabetes before I studied and learned more about insulin, bG levels, etc. You might try eating a breakfast high in fats/proteins and avoid carbs in the morning to see if that makes a difference.

• @Nemo

It sounds like your body is in need of an increase in blood sugar at this time. Most meals are digested and absorbed within 2-4 hours of eating; I actually think it's pretty normal for you to feel this way given how long it's been since you've had breakfast.

To counteract this effect:
    1. Ensure your breakfast contains high-fibre carbs, along with a moderate amount of protein and some healthy fats.
    2. Have a snack containing fibre and protein 3-4 hours after breakfast.

Fibre and protein will help to delay gastric emptying and the glycemic response in your blood stream.

Best of luck!

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer