Beginner questions

Hi

I was thinking of switching from MFP to cronometer because I think MFP doesn't do a good job of tracking things like iron and calcium. However, I had a few beginners questions.

1. Is there a way to scan something with the barcode scanner, and then get generic suggestions so that you can get more complete nutrition info? i.e. scan a pack of broccoli and then have the app suggest broccoli from the USDA etc.?
  2. I found there were some things the database didn't have - e.g. tenderstem broccoli. How commonly do you find that this happens for you?
  3. What do you do when the calories in the more nutritionally complete databases is lower than the calories on the food packet? For example, I had a pack of tofu, and I faced a choice of using the Community database, which had the correct calories, but very little micronutrient info, vs the "official" databases which had micronutrients but a lower calorie amount. Is there a way you can use the "official" database but manually "top up" the calories in your diary entry, or somehow combine database entries? What do you usually do in this circumstance? The only other thing I can see to do is to continue to use MFP for calories but use cronometer to get a better estimate of my micronutrients, but that sounds very time consuming.

Comments

• Hi pianofossil,

I can help you with #1 and #3!

Many of brand name foods have suggested alternatives where our curation team found a generic food with better nutrition information. If there is an alternative suggested, you will see it in the add food screen, like this:

Tap on the grey box to jump to the better alternative with more data.

You can edit a copy of a food in our database if you want to use the better data and update a few values to match your package.
    Select the food you would like to edit, then tap on the menu in the top right corner.
    Select Edit a Copy.
    Make any edits you would like, then save a copy to your list of custom foods.

I hope that helps get you started!

Karen Stark
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

• edited August 2020

Also, you can edit and save a copy of a known database entry, and then use it as a custom food in your diary.

For example, you can take the tofu entry you found that has the micronutrient data you like, edit it to display the changed number of calories (or other attributes) you want, and then save it as a custom food, labelling it as you like (for example, tofu XXX brand).

This is really handy, especially for foods that you eat a lot and want to make their diary entries as accurate as possible.

edit: Just read Karens' post, she explains it better than me. Think I'll read all comments before replying next time.. :p

• Ok what happens if I don’t consume all the calories ? Will that hinder my weight loss? Also do y’all suggest to upgrade on the app for better results versus doing it free? I’m not understanding all the features. How do I know if I over did it on the fats? Or carbs?

• I need help with this app. Someone call me 5043276762