Carbs in Greek Yogurt

I keep hearing differing opinions on whether the bacteria in yogurt eats the sugar thereby lowering the carb count significantly. The nay side says that, at best, 25% of the sugars are consumed leaving 75% of the carb count intact. Neither of these sound right to me. What does a nutritionist say? (none of the info I find online about the sugars being eaten seem credible)

"I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

Comments

  • Hello @comanchesue

    The nutrient analysis of yogurt takes place after the yogurt is made (i.e. the sugar has already been consumed by the bacteria, which is what is done to make yogurt). As a general rule, I would assume the carb content on the label or in the nutrient database is correct.

    Kind regards,

    Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

  • Thank you, that's what made sense to me but those who say the carb count is really 'lower' were quite adamant. I'll quit kidding myself :)

    "I've never considered excessive sanity a virtue" Mike Uris, San Antonio Express-News, 2002

  • @comanchesue

    It's a good idea to ask them where they are sourcing their information from. If you can't read it yourself first hand, then just go with the safer, known option.

    Good luck!

    Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer

Sign In or Register to comment.