Options

Hot chocolate without sugar a good balance of Mag/Cal?

I know dairy is not necessarily the best food in the world, at least from all I've read and also experienced with it. But for the occasional cup of whole milk with organic cacao powder added plus a pinch of salt it seems like it gives a really nice balance of mag/cal.

Really I probably shouldn't have any dairy but at the moment, due to stress and tiredness, a cup of what I described above seems to calm me down and comfort me. I worry if I just drink milk that it's not balance with magnesium - which I already struggle to get. But it occurred to me that adding the cacao powder (Nutivas brand) gives the magnesium to balance it. Is there anything wrong with this theory?

And because of PTSD and stuff :/ I thought maybe this combo - maybe temporarily - can give me a little boost - fats, calcium and magnesium plus some antioxidants. Maybe a little serotonin from the comfort factor.

Comments

• Options

@butterfly

Food gives us so much more than just nutrients; it brings pleasure, comfort, and satisfaction. If this beverage is something you love and enjoy, I don't see anything wrong with consuming it. :) However, if you wanted, you could try substituting it with coconut or cashew milk; just be sure to choose regular versions (not unsweetened) so they are a bit thicker.

Regarding the calcium/magnesium issue, you might want to check out my blog post on the topic: https://cronometer.com/blog/cronometers-nutrient-ratios-calcium-magnesium/

There's still a lot of unknowns about what the ideal ratio is of calcium/magnesium, but what I wouldn't worry about is the ratio within one food itself. My advice is to do your best to ensure you are meeting the RDA for each nutrient and trust your body to take care of the rest.

Kind regards,

Susan Macfarlane, MScA, RD
    Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
    cronometer.com
    As always, any and all postings here are covered by our T&Cs:
    https://forums.cronometer.com/discussion/27/governing-terms-and-disclaimer