I am new to the forum. Please forgive my verbosity. Nonetheless, here it goes. I have suffered from insomnia for about five years and have done the following:
- I had a sleep test done in October 2017 which revealed that I have sleep apnea. I now use a CPAP machine.
- My sleep has moderately improved. I still suffer from nights when I get only 5-6 hours of rest. I consider a good night’s rest when I wake up 1-2 times.
- Heart palpitations intensified. Earlier in the year I had an EKG and thyroid tests done. Both came back with negative results.
- I met with my doctor, once again, who recommended that I take Benadryl to assist with the insomnia. This initially helped but then, I noticed, that its efficacy diminished over time.
- I discovered after some research that magnesium helps with heart palpitation and insomnia issues. So, I ordered a magnesium supplement after getting approval from my doctor. He advised caution but approved it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GW4V7MC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1 This initially helped with sleep but then I got some headaches. Perhaps this was due to the decongestants, like Benadryl, that I was taking.
- I contacted my doctor once again and asked about taking B-Complex. He approved it, seemingly more enthusiastically. https://www.amazon.com/B-CALMplex-B-Complex-Vitamin-Complex-Capsules/dp/B073V8X68W/ref=pd_bxgy_121_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B073V8X68W&pd_rd_r=CZJT7H51M1Z4F2R15R09&pd_rd_w=45BWF&pd_rd_wg=PjZn6&psc=1&refRID=CZJT7H51M1Z4F2R15R09
- I began taking it but continued taking the magnesium along with it. My energy level dropped dramatically during the day. Then, I noticed that my hair and skin started to become dry. My nails also developed a brittle quality to them.
- I discontinued these supplements for about one week and noticed that my hair and skin were not as dry.
- About ten days later I resumed with one 75 mg tablet of magnesium per day because heart palpitations returned. Also, I increased my magnesium levels to about 420 mg per day total from food. This included the magnesium supplement.
- My hair and skin began dry out once again.
- I researched the issue and discovered that low calcium levels could cause the dryness issues. So, I increased my calcium levels by mostly drinking additional glasses of milk per day.
- I noticed that my hair and nails were still dry but not as dry as several weeks ago.
- As I increased my calcium levels I noticed over the past three nights that my sleep deteriorated.
- I also discovered that higher magnesium levels could affect iron levels.
In addition to tracking my daily nutrition through Cronometer I am trying to set up an appointment with a nutritionist through my doctor. In the meantime, can anybody offer some advice? Thank you.